Changing the way we do notifications

Daniel Levy

Sep 4, 2013, 11:47:29 AM9/4/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

In response for discussions on how to do settings for notifications, we've come up with the idea of having a single page where users set when they get notifications for different types of feedback. This would involve me removing the "Watch" check-box from the DecisionForm and re-implementing most of the logic where users are set as observers, as well as some of the logic about when notifications are sent.

Specifically, all the code for setting and removing observers will be moved on to a view for handling notification settings, and anything that directly gets a list of users will have the logic changed to use those settings.

There will be five different levels at which you could receive notifications:
1. No email notifications
2. (default) Creation & Status change of main items
3. ...plus Major Changes to main item, & feedback on main items
4. ...plus replies to feedback & Major changes to feedback?
5. ...plus Minor Changes

If anyone wants to be involved in doing this then let me know.

Regards,

Daniel

pa...@aptivate.org

Sep 23, 2013, 12:43:56 PM9/23/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com
> Hi All,
>
> In response for discussions on how to do settings for notifications, we've
> come up with the idea of having a single page where users set when they
> get
> notifications for different types of feedback.
> There will be five different levels at which you could receive
> notifications:
> 1. No email notifications
> 2. (default) Creation & Status change of main items
> 3. ...plus Major Changes to main item, & feedback on main items
> 4. ...plus replies to feedback & Major changes to feedback?
> 5. ...plus Minor Changes
>
> If anyone wants to be involved in doing this then let me know.

Just food for thought, I might consider going about this another way:

Firstly, all changes are marked as an "update".

Secondly, users can select the kind of email they get. This would follow
the standard internet forum convention:

- No notifications.
- One notification email per update.
- Daily digest.
- Weekly digest.

Paul

Jo Paulger

Sep 23, 2013, 12:55:41 PM9/23/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com
Daniel's proposing you get to choose what you receive, and Paul is proposing you get to choose how often you get contacted with that info. The two schemes don't seem to be mutually exclusive to me, so it should be possible to do both if desired, and could be split into two phases.