On the necessity for dialectical reasoning, and good faith

Dante Monson

Jul 14, 2024, 3:38:48 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to econ...@googlegroups.com
In a collective context, if you don't abide by a dialectical process to get closer to accuracy and coherence what concerns causality, including complex causality in complex adaptive systems, then you have no accountability and you have dysfunctional systems that become increasingly arbitrary, authoritarian and normative, as legitimacy and authority doesn't rest on a collaborative process supporting our shared needs and intentional engagements around agreed upon narrative alignment.

We need a healthy ego. I mean by ego, the mediator between id and superego.

And we need judgment to overcome prejudice.

So the answer is: we cannot afford not being of good faith.

Bad faith is at the root of authoritarianism and of dysfunctional organizations and society :

" Antisemitism is a way of feeling good, proud even, rather than guilty at the abandonment of responsibility and the flight before the impossibility of true sincerity. The antisemite abandons himself to the crowd and his bad faith, he "flees responsibility as he flees his own consciousness, and choosing for his personality the permanence of the rock, he chooses for his morality the scale of petrified values."(p. 27.) [2] He pulls down shutters, blinds, mirrors and mirages over his consciousness to keep himself in his bad faith away from his responsibilities and his liberty. The antisemite is afraid "of himself, of his own consciousness, of his own liberty, of his instincts, of his responsibilities, of solitariness, of change, of society, and the world – of everything except the Jews." He is "a coward who does not want to admit his cowardice to himself." (p. 53.)[2] The antisemite wallows in the depths of an extreme bad faith. "Anti-Semitism, in short, is fear of the human condition. The anti-Semite is a man who wishes to be pitiless stone, a furious torrent, a devastating thunderbolt – anything except a man." (p. 54.)[2] This is his bad faith. "