ESG Call for Panelists for AMS

Jacob A. Cohen

Oct 23, 2020, 12:10:38 PM10/23/20
to Ecomusicology List
Hello All,

We sent this Call to the AMS-announce list but I haven't seen it go out...I fear it may have gotten lost in the pandemic shuffle: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NgHbWEausLqrm4wUPbIla7uqKwPQ9-bHRXPOTBMi8SU/edit?usp=sharing

We are soliciting informal panelists to give short presentations as part of the ESG Business meeting at this year's AMS/SMT conference, which is scheduled for Saturday, November 7, at 6pm central time. This is meant to be an informal discussion and sharing of ideas around the idea of "Hearing nature and the environment during the COVID-19 pandemic." Full details are in the above linked google doc, which I have excerpted here:

The Ecocriticism Study Group (ESG) invites 5-10 minute informal responses on the topic of hearing nature and the environment during the COVID-19 pandemic for a 45-minute panel. Contributions might seek to nuance or complicate narratives of "nature restoring itself," provide individual perspectives on hearing the natural world during the COVID quarantine, share a soundscape recording, or explore the changes wrought by a worldwide pandemic on our relationships to music and sound. The ESG particularly encourages responses that emphasize narrative and/or (auto)ethnography, rather than theory and analysis, given our time limitations and the informal setting.

Please send a short, informal abstract of about 150 words to Joshua Groffman (groff...@southernct.edu) that also outlines what format your presentation will take (e.g. recorded video, live speaking/reading of written comments, recorded performance, etc.).

We know that this is an extremely short turnaround time given that the call did not go out earlier as expected, but we are hoping that this will provide any members who have thoughts on this topic to participate in what is sure to be a slightly more conversational structure for this meeting. We invite all members of the AMS to attend the business meeting as well.

Best,
Jake Cohen
Chair, ESG