Fwd: David Haskell and ecology and sound

Aaron Allen

Mar 23, 2022, 3:02:32 PM3/23/22
to Ecomusicology List
---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 1:44 PM
Subject: David Haskell and ecology and sound

Online presentation with author, scientist and professor David George Haskell.

Co-sponsored by Triangle Land Conservancy, Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association and Duke Gardens. Please register through Duke Gardens.

The book, Sounds Wild and Broken is an invitation to listen, wonder, belong, and act. Author, David Haskell, will discuss how listening to the world around us – whether in the city, a natural area, or to music through our earbuds – can connect us to the living world.

We live on a planet alive with song, music, and speech. Haskell explores how these wonders came to be. From the rain forests shimmering with insect sound and swamps pulsing with frog calls we learn about evolution’s creative powers. From birds in the Rocky Mountains and on the streets of Paris, to sounds below the waves, we discover how animals learn their songs and adapt to new environments, and we hear our kinship to different beings. Haskell will discuss how human music and language belong within this story of ecology and evolution.

Starting with the origins of animal song and traversing the whole arc of Earth history, Haskell illuminates and celebrates the emergence of the varied sounds of our world. Join us to learn that human music and language belong within this story of ecology and evolution. Yet we are also destroyers, now silencing or smothering many of the sounds of the living Earth. Haskell shows that sonic crises are not mere losses of sensory ornament. Sound is a generative force, and so the erasure of sonic diversity makes the world less creative, just, and beautiful.

David George Haskell is the William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies at the University of the South and celebrated author and Guggenheim Fellow. His 2017 book, The Song of Trees won the John Burroughs Medal for Distinguished Natural History Writing. His 2012 book, The Forest Unseen was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the PEN/E.O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award, and it won the 2013 Best Book Award from the National Academies, the National Outdoor Book Award and the Reed Environmental Writing Award. His new book, Sounds Wild and BrokenSonic Marvels, Evolution’s Creativity and the Crisis of Sensory Extinction, will be published in March 2022.

Register at: https://rsvp.duke.edu/d/18qfv8/

Upon registration, you will receive an email confirmation that includes the zoom link. The recorded zoom session will not be available.

Tuesday, May 3 from 7-8 p.m.

Fee: $12, Gardens members, TLC members and Ellerbe Creek members receive a 20% discount at registration.

Hope to see you all virtually,

Jan

Jan Little

Pronouns: She/her

Director of Education and Public Programs

Duke Gardens

919-672-8570