350 Global Working Party!

Jessica Walsh

Oct 4, 2010, 7:47:39 AM10/4/10
to eco...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ecobug,

You may have got the email from someone else from UQClimate for Change about the 350 Global Working Party next Monday! If not the information is below.

So, I'm wondering if you would like to join us for the BBQ and have an Ecobug stall. We are attempting to do a bbq, but we are clearly beginners and it would be awesome if Ecobug would like to help out/have their own bbq/stall.

we are planning on selling falafels and kangaroo sausages. i know you guys don't want to cook meat, which is completely understandable, so if you are keen we could split it so we cook the sausages on 1 bbq and you cook falafels on another bbq. another option is for us to do all of the bbq cooking and you sell other bits and pieces,like drinks/brownies/scrolls etc. But we are open to suggestions and happy to work together, or on our own if you guys don't want to be involved. no dramas either way.

just let me know if you want to be involved, asap please so we can organise what food we need to buy.

Thanks
Jess Walsh
0408194674
UQ Climate for Change

_______________________________________
Hello!

I’m writing to you about
350.org’s 10/10/10 Global Work Party – a day of action involving thousands of  communities around the world, who will be all be working on projects in their local area to address the climate crisis. We will be celebrating our Work Party at UQ on Monday the 11th October – and we would love you and your community to be a part of it!

The aim of this day is to take concrete action to reduce our emissions. It’s not another protest or symbolic action. It’s getting to work.

Why are we for 350?

350 represents the maximum safe level of carbon parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere, to limit global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees celsius. 350 takes the scientific consensus on what’s necessary to reduce the impacts and extent of climate change, and turns it into a goal that everyone can rally behind.

When Bill McKibben (one of the founders of
350.org) spoke in Brisbane earlier this year, he stressed the importance of two levels of action to take us to a safe climate: personal and political. This day of work combines those two levels. We are going to take action, and also communicate to our leaders, that that they ought to take action too.

The thing is, everyone expects a group like us to be for 350. So while it’s exciting, it could be more exciting.  If you are for 350 too, and want to show it - that would be exciting!

My daydream for the BBQ on Monday – is that each person we contact will bring a few friends, or a lot of friends, their club or society, or a whole department! to the event, so that you can be YOUR GROUP for 350. Or, if you just want to dip your toes in the water, you can just be your group, but be there!

Lawyers for 350, Dancers for 350, IT team for 350, ecologists for 350, teachers for 350, arts students for 350, your club for 350, YOU for 350 that would be very exciting!

I think the power of personal connections makes any movement so much stronger, and bigger, and that the global 350 movement, with the 10/10/10 goal of cutting emissions by 10%, is an inspiring and empowering movement to be part of. With thousands of events, in 183 countries around the world… it’s a beautiful way to take action – here is a short video from last October, 350’s first global day of action – truly inspiring! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noPcVKf24rk

So it would be absolutely fantastic if you could send this email to a few (or more) friends, with a personal message about making goals to cut your environmental impact, and coming along. Maybe there’s someone else who would love to organise your group, you could ask them to help kickstart the movement in your area.

To sum up (because the day is so packed full of ideas it’s a bit hard to get it straight), here’s what’s happening on the 11/10/10, at the BBQ.

1.        Delicious BBQ foods.

2.        Lots of different groups from around UQ and surrounding community gathering on the Grassy Knoll

3.        Getting info from our stalls about ideas and tips for cutting your environmental impact!

4.        Sharing plans and goals for said cutting, and adding them to our UQ certificate, so we can be inspired by the weight of our goals together.

5.        Being part of a mass photo at 1pm to send to 350.org – so we can send our event to the global page,

6.        Hearing about the new UQ community garden, with opportunities to get involved

7.        Going back to work or study inspired and invigorated (and satisfyingly full!)

If you are interested, email me back -  or just come along on the 11th. We look forward to seeing you there!
Regards,
Jessica

Please RSVP to the facebook event, at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154490257915026&ref=ts

and we are on the official 350.org list of events – at http://www.350.org/en/node/22509

check out the official list for other events happening in Brisbane on Sunday, the 10/10/10!

ps. It's been a while since I thought about starting something new to lower my environmental impact... and this is a good opportunity to try something new! My goal personally is to save more energy at home – including having shorter showers (back down to 4 mins or less), to save energy from heating, which is a big contribution to emissions (and save water!).