YOU'RE INVITED: Virtual SFSU Day of Remembrance - Thurs. Feb. 18 @ 9:30-10:45am

Eclipse Rising

Feb 17, 2021, 2:08:00 PM2/17/21
to Eclipse Rising
Dear ER friends,

We are co-sponsoring a virtual event tomorrow, during which two ER members, Miho and Tomomi, will be speaking along with our comrades and allies. In addition to the links below, this will be livestreamed through Eclipse Rising's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/EclipseRising

Please join us!!

###
Please excuse duplicates.  Please help spread the word & forward to others.

You are cordially invited:

2021 Day of Remembrance, SFSU

A virtual campus-community commemoration event, featuring student & faculty voices, with interfaith and cultural presentations

February 18, 2021 @ 9:30-10:45 am PST

To watch the event live, please go to one of the following links:

https://www.facebook.com/AMEDStudies

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfPwn33oSc9FRsNJ6zpU4A/featured

No registration necessary.  Free.  Open to the public.

The Day of Remembrance (DOR) is an annual community tradition and a vehicle for remembrance, education and activism, especially for redress/reparations for Japanese American /Japanese Latin American communities which remains ongoing, and for other social justice struggles. The racist mass incarceration of those deemed “enemy aliens” during WWII by the US Government provides a critical opportunity for us to reflect on the state of civil and human rights, racial justice and grassroots solidarity among communities today.

At SFSU, Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas (AMED) Studies and Asian American Studies revived commemoration of DOR at SFSU in 2016, following 4 years of annual collaborations with Bay Area Japanese American and spiritual organizations. While under attack by Zionist lobby and an accommodating administration, AMED has continued to draw on the Spirit of ’68 and insists on the indivisibility of justice.

Coinciding with Black History Month, DOR in 2021 is a milestone in which Asian American Studies, Africana Studies, and Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Studies (AMED) join with social justice and spiritual organizations to speak out against racism and white supremacy. We celebrate our shared roots in radicalism led by heroes of the Nikkei community and affirm our commitment to never repeat history. We demand Reparations for Japanese Latin Americans, Black liberation, liberation for Palestine and liberation for all.  And we recommit to fight against right wing governments, denialists and Zionist groups that attempt to silence Palestinian narratives and all narratives of resistance, including testimonies by survivors of Japanese military sexual slavery, Okinawans, and Zainichi Koreans, on our SFSU campus and beyond.

We invite you to join leaders of DOR and other community struggles in this annual campus-community collaboration to educate, engage and mobilize locally, nationally, as well as transnationally, to critically analyze our interweaving histories with a social justice lens, connect the dots between justice struggles of various communities, and finally, to walk away filled with power of knowledge, inspiration and solidarity.

Presenters/Performers:

●      Rabab Abdulhadi, Director and Senior Scholar, Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas (AMED) Studies, SFSU

●      Zahra Billo, Esq., Executive Director, Council on American-Islamic Relations, San Francisco/Bay Area

●      Miho Kim, Lecturer, Asian American Studies, SFSU; Comfort Women Justice Coalition; Eclipse Rising; Researcher, Kwansei Gakuin University (Japan)

●      Dr.Tomomi Kinukawa, Faculty Lecturer, Department of Women and Gender Studies, SFSU; Comfort Women Justice Coalition; and Eclipse Rising

●      Rev. Ronald Y. Nakasone, PhD, Core Doctoral Faculty, Graduate Theological Union

●      Professor Abul Adonis Pitre, Chair, Africana Studies, SFSU

●      Saliem Shehadeh, PhD student at UCLA, and Lecturer at AMED, SFSU

●      Grace Shimizu, Director, Japanese Peruvian Oral History Project; Campaign For Justice: Redress NOW for Japanese Latin Americans!; Comfort Women Justice Coalition

●      Miya Sommers, Coordinating Committee-Nikkei Resisters and Asian American Studies MA at SFSU

●      Rev. Michael Yoshii, Co-Chair, Friends of Wadi Foquin

●      Wesley Ueunten, Professor, Asian American Studies, SFSU and Co-Director of Edison Uno Institute of Nikkei and Uchinanchu Studies, SFSU

●      Frances Wong, Lecturer, Asian American Studies, SFSU

Sponsoring Organizations:

●      Africana Studies, SFSU

●      Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas (AMED) Studies

●      Asian American Studies, SFFU

●      Campaign For Justice: Redress NOW for Japanese Latin Americans!

●      Comfort Women Justice Coalition (CWJC)

●      Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) - San Francisco Bay Area

●      Eclipse Rising

●      Edison Uno Institute of Nikkei and Uchinanchu Studies, SFSU

●      Friends of Wadi Foquin

●      Graduate Theological Union

●      Japanese Peruvian Oral History Project

●      Nikkei Resisters

Inquiry:

wes...@sfsu.edu

jlaca...@gmail.com