Eclipse Rising presents OUR SCHOOL, Feb 17, 6:30p @ New Parkway!

Kyung Hee Ha

Jan 18, 2015, 1:59:38 PM1/18/15
to eclips...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends and families,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you are having a great start to the new year. :)
2015 is in fact a very important year for Zainichi Koreans as it marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, the 50th anniversary of the (re)establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Republic of Korea (South Korea), as well as the 4th anniversary of the 3/11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters that hit the greater Tohoku region.

In commemoration of these historical "endings" and "new beginnings" that have continued to shape our lives in Japan and beyond, Eclipse Rising is thrilled to present a social justice film series in collaboration with other progressive organizations!!!

Critical Voices From "Japan" will present 4 films in February & March in the Bay Area. Our very first film is:
OUR SCHOOL (2006, dir. KIM Myung Joon: English subtitles)
Tuesday, February 17, 6:30pm at The New Parkway Theater
474 24th St. Oakland, CA 94612
Tickets: $8

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1099894

Our School depicts the every day life of Koreans in Japan or "Zainichi Koreans," particularly, the "North Korean" school and 3rd generation Korean students. It illuminates an invisible aspect of North Korea through the history of the diaspora of Korean people who believed in one unified and liberated Korea. It offers a poignant counter-narrative to the popular representation of "North Korea" as seen in The Interview or any other media in the West or in Japan. Through Our School, a narrative put together by South Korean director, Kim Myung Joon, we witness a very small but misunderstood community of Zainichi Koreans who dream of a unified Korea that transcends the Cold War and negotiate complicated systems of nationality, identity, and belonging as Koreans in Japan.

We're particularly excited to show this film in Oakland where there's a rich history of Black and POC struggle for equality, autonomy and justice! Half of the proceeds will go to Korean schools as they continue to fight for equality today! Please come, bring your friends and enjoy the award-winning documentary on the "North Korean" community in Japan!!!

Save the dates for other films in Critical Voices from "Japan" series!!
  • Feb 24: Sayama: Follows an untouchable buraku couple's life after unjust conviction and decades of incarceration of the husband, Mr. Kazuo Ishikawa
  • March 3: My Heart Is Not Broken Yet: Humanizes a former Korean "comfort woman" residing in Japan
  • March 10: Iitate Village: Investigates the challenges of a farming village in Fukushima after the nuclear disaster
P.S. Eclipse Rising is leading the global petition to stop Abe regime of Japan to deny Japan's imperial past and miseducate youth using revisionist history textbooks! Please sign and spread the word!!
Say NO to ‘Revisionist History’ that glorifies Japan’s WWII aggression and war crimes!
#TruthTodayPeaceTomorrow

Peace,
Kyung Hee
Eclipse Rising