Fwd: Japanese American Community vigil against hate Tuesday, Nov. 22, 6 to 8 p.m.

1 view

miho kim lee

Nov 21, 2016, 3:28:47 AM11/21/16
to eclips...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Gwyn Kirk <gw...@igc.org>
Date: Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 12:07
Subject: Fwd: Japanese American Community vigil against hate Tuesday, Nov. 22, 6 to 8 p.m.
To: wgs-planning-circle <wgs-plann...@googlegroups.com>, People4genuinesecurity People4genuinesecurity <people4genu...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Canyon Sam <cany...@sbcglobal.net>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kenji Taguma <ke...@nichibeifoundation.org>
Date: November 19, 2016 at 3:42:16 AM

The Bay Area Day of Remembrance Consortium and others are going to have a demonstration of unity on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 6 to 8 p.m., at the Japantown Peace Plaza.

The idea for this came after I was asked for my response to the elections by the Japan Times in Tokyo as a “representative” of the Japanese American community. Here’s the story: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/10/national/japanese-americans-japanese-u-s-concerned-trumps-election/

Anyways, as I mentioned, since 9/11, and even before then during the first Gulf War, the Japanese American community has stood in support of Muslims and Arab Americans victimized due to wartime hysteria, racial prejudice and failure of political leadership. There is a lot of fear given the 430-plus hate incidents reported after the election, perpetrated by those who seemingly feel emboldened by the racist, misogynistic and xenophobic rhetoric of the Trump campaign. So we decided to take a stand.

Anyways, just forwarding in case you can make it. A flyer is attached as well.

A flyer is attached. Here’s the Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1881402242079670/

Sincerely,

Kenji G. Taguma

Nichi Bei Foundation

* * * * * * * * * *

S.F. Japantown gathering to address post-election climate of hate

In order to address the hateful rhetoric of the presidential election, and to show solidarity with segments of communities now being targeted nationwide by incidents of hate, the Bay Area Day of Remembrance Consortium and the San Francisco Japantown community will hold en event entitled “UNITED FOR COMPASSION: A Japantown Community Gathering” on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 6 p.m., at the Peace Plaza in San Francisco’s Japantown.

Since and before the elections, there has been a rise in incidences of hate throughout the country, which appear to be emboldened by the misogynistic, xenophobic and racist rhetoric of the Trump campaign. The Southern Poverty Law Center, to date, has documented more than 430 incidents since the elections alone, including physical assaults and racist vandalism.

“As a community that knows all too well the effects of wartime hysteria, racial prejudice and the failure of political leadership, the Japanese American community responds, using our own experience as a stark reminder of the effects of the deprivation of civil liberties,” said a statement by the Bay Area Day of Remembrance Consortium.

In a show of unity with targeted communities — including Muslims, Arab Americans, immigrants, Latinos, African Americans, Asian Americans, LGBTQ persons, Native Americans and women — the Japanese American and Japantown community is taking a clear and unequivocal stand against hate, while addressing the fear that has shrouded our communities.

The public is invited to join the Bay Area Day of Remembrance Consortium and the Japantown community in a show of unity and support. The event will feature a candlelight vigil, multicultural and youth speakers, resources to report incidents of hate, and a Wall of Compassion where people can post messages of support and affirmation.

Presented by the Bay Area Day of Remembrance Consortium

Sponsored by:
• San Francisco chapter of the Japanese American Citizens League
• Nichi Bei Foundation
• Japanese Community Youth Council
• Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California

• Nakayoshi Young Professionals

Kenji G. Taguma
President / Nichi Bei Foundation / www.nichibeifoundation.org
Editor-in-Chief / Nichi Bei Weekly / www.nichibei.org
Co-Chair / Northern California Soy and Tofu Festival / www.soyandtofufest.org

(415) 673-1009 office
(415) 673-1063 office/fax

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 15693, San Francisco, CA 94115
Office Address: 1832 Buchanan Street, Suite 207, San Francisco, CA 94115

Like us on Facebook!: https://www.facebook.com/nichibei

Subscribe to our new Digital Edition!: www.nichibei.org/subscribe

View our Japanese Culture and Cherry Blossom Festival Guide:
http://yournewspaper.dirxion.com/NichiBei/app.php?RelId=6.0.7.2

See the highlights of the Northern California Soy and Tofu Festival or become a sponsor:

Be part of the movement to save the community press! Donate today at www.nichibei.org/donate

Sent from Gmail Mobile
UNITED FOR COMPASSION flyer.pdf