WAV Size Requirements & Other Updates

Kristina Collins

Dec 9, 2020, 7:00:34 PM12/9/20
to eclipse-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
We're 24 hours in, so it's a good time to export and upload your first set of WAV files if you haven't already done so.

Here are some updates from the first day of data collection:

WAV File Size Limits
Thanks to Rowdy AJ6AN for pointing out that WAV files have a 4GB restriction. This 4GB limit isn't a part of Audacity. It is a result of the WAV file specification, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header.

If you're running your setup as specified on the experiment page - 8 kHz sample rate, 16-bit bit depth, mono - you should find that 24 hours is "only" about 1.4 GB. So a good approach is to pause, export, and perhaps upload your recordings about once a day.

If your file does end up exceeding the 4GB limit and you get an export error, check the experiment page for instructions, which I will post soon. (English version only.)

Geomagnetic Storm Watch
Some participants have asked about the impact of the recent coronal mass ejection, which could cause geomagnetic storms later today or tomorrow, on data collection. If the CME does hit and cause such a storm, it will affect propagation, but we should still be able to separate out the eclipse effects. Keep an eye on spaceweather.com for updates. For a more detailed update, check out this video from Dr. Tamitha Skov WX6SWW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgB8JxYcQFE

Mystery Signal
Mitja DO1REH reports a signal on 9996 kHz, received in Germany. This shouldn't impact the experiment, but let me know if you've come across it in your own observations.

Safe Eclipse Viewing
A public service announcement to those in the path of totality: Make sure to prepare a safe viewing system. Remember that regular sunglasses are NOT sufficient to protect your eyes. Check out these resources for more information on finding a safe optical filter, timing your observations to avoid eye damage, or building a pinhole camera so you can observe the eclipse projection: https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety

Adding Participants
Although data collection has started, operators everywhere are still welcome to join in. I'm particularly looking for as many participants as possible in South America. Tell your friends!

That's all for now, but I'll continue to post updates to this list as the experiment continues.

Thanks and 73,
-Kristina KD8OXT