Festivals of Eclipse Ionospheric Science (FoEIS) - 14 Oct 2023 - The Americas

gmikitinaf8a

Jun 1, 2023, 9:54:54 AM6/1/23
to Eclipse Festival
Greetings, past Eclipse Festival participants - HamSCI is planning a number of events for the 14 Oct 2023 annular solar eclipse passing across the Americas.  We are inviting amateur radio operators and space weather enthusiasts across all of the Americas to participate in the FoEIS events which include ham radio contests, research events and more.

Details are at hamsci.org/eclipse

As shown below, the eclipse path will be passing near Mexico, over the Central American countries, and the northern portion of South America.  HamSCI is looking to build interest in the FoEIS in those areas.   We welcome everyone to visit the HamSCI website, review the events, and sign up for the the FoEIS mailing group (groups.google.com/g/hamsci-eclipse).  Pre-registration forms and interest surveys are available for most of the eclipse events.

Feel free to pass on this information to general interest clubs, contest clubs, newsletters and friends who may be interested in HamSCI's mission of connecting space physics researchers and citizen scientists (especially amateur radio operators) in the study of the Earth's ionosphere, magnetosphere and related subjects.

73 de Gary, AF8A
HamSCI Amateur Radio Community Coordinator

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 9.26.22 AM.png

Franck Durand

Jun 11, 2023, 3:34:25 PM6/11/23
to Eclipse Festival
Hi,
Could you confirm me that as I can understand it doesn't make any interest to get European ham radio to participate in this FoEIS events as eclips pass over central American countries ?
If it makes sense for you then I can subscribe, if not I will wait for the next one.
Best 73's
Franck, F4IEW
JN19DA
France

gmikitinaf8a

Jun 11, 2023, 3:41:33 PM6/11/23
to Eclipse Festival
Hello Franck - All QSO data has value to the researchers.   The most valuable data will involve QSOs made with at least one station in the Americas.

So, if the bands are open from Europe to the US, Mexico, Brazil, etc during the SEQP (perhaps 10, 15 or 20 meters) we would be very happy to have your participation.

73 de Gary, AF8A

D Dismachek

Jun 11, 2023, 3:48:17 PM6/11/23
to Franck Durand, Eclipse Festival
Yes, that is correct. I don’t know if this or other groups record for other parts of the world during close eclipse events.
…Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 11, 2023, at 12:34, Franck Durand <con...@franck-durand.com> wrote:

Information on the December 2020 Eclipse Festival of Frequency Measurement: https://hamsci.org/december-2020-eclipse-festival-frequency-measurement
---

gmikitinaf8a

Jun 11, 2023, 3:49:56 PM6/11/23
to Eclipse Festival
HamSCI is expecting to have SDR receivers located at various points across the globe recoding IQ data during the North American eclipse events.

We are very fortunate in that regard.

73 de Gary , AF8A