installing Eclipse properly

Michael Mossey

Jun 8, 2018, 12:45:15 PM6/8/18
to eclim-user
I'm getting ready to try eclim (in the emacs version) on macOS Sierra, and I was reading some support posts and noticed that people are encountering bugs if Eclipse is not installed properly. I'm supposed to install it from a tar file rather than the GUI installer. But I can only find the Eclipse GUI installer. Is it still necessary or possible to install in some other way?

Eric Van Dewoestine

Jun 8, 2018, 3:40:18 PM6/8/18
to eclim...@googlegroups.com
As of eclim 2.7.1, the eclim installer supports the disk layout from
the eclipse gui installer.

You can get to the eclipse tar files by clicking on the "Download
Packages" link on their downloads page:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/
> --

eric

Michael Mossey

Jun 8, 2018, 4:02:35 PM6/8/18
to eclim-user
I see.

I'm also trying to find an eclim download for macOS... all I see are "bin" files. Is there a macOS binary installer, or must it be built from source?

Mike

\

--
eric

Eric Van Dewoestine

Jun 8, 2018, 4:08:55 PM6/8/18
to eclim...@googlegroups.com
That .bin file works on any unix based system (OSX included).

Michael Mossey

Jun 8, 2018, 4:16:42 PM6/8/18
to eclim-user
Apologies then, for my lack of knowledge. How do you run a bin file on macOS? Clicking on it offered no available program. Am I supposed to chmod to +x maybe? Run it from the terminal?

Eric Van Dewoestine

Jun 8, 2018, 4:48:26 PM6/8/18
to eclim...@googlegroups.com
yeah, make it executable and run it in a shell:

http://eclim.org/install.html#installing-upgrading