Eclim startup error: Application "org.eclim.application" could not be found in the registry

Kannan

Jul 14, 2014, 9:31:40 PM7/14/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com

All of a sudden, I started hitting this issue. I noticed a similar thread several years back. Any pointers?

!SESSION 2014-07-14 18:14:11.247 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.3.0.M20130911-1000
java.version=1.7.0_55
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -refresh -application org.eclim.application
Command-line arguments:  -debug -clean -refresh -application org.eclim.application

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2014-07-14 18:14:22.672
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "org.eclim.application" could not be found in the registry. The applications available are: org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner, org.eclipse.ant.ui.antRunner, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.GenTopic, org.eclipse.equinox.app.error, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.garbagecollector.application, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.InstallPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.EclipseGenerator, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.ProductPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.application, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository.repo2runnable, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository.metadataverifier, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.mirrorApplication, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.mirrorApplication, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.updatesite.UpdateSitePublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.UpdateSitePublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.CategoryPublisher, org.eclipse.help.base.infocenterApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.indexTool, org.eclipse.jdt.apt.core.aptBuild, org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter, org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaIndexer, org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench.
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:248)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:29)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1426)

--
Kannan

Kannan

Jul 14, 2014, 9:50:00 PM7/14/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this is a coincidence. But before getting into this state, I removed the old eclim installation from /usr/local/eclipse/plugins dir --> this was based on your earlier comment to make sure that when I start eclimd, it uses the local eclim installation.

At this point, I don't have any eclim files/dir under /usr/local/eclipse dir. They are only present under $HOME/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.3.0_185596441_linux_gtk_x86_64/

My user.properties contains:

eclipse.home=/usr/local/eclipse
eclipse.local=${user.home}/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.3.0_185596441_linux_gtk_x86_64/

--
Kannan

Kannan

Jul 15, 2014, 12:27:04 AM7/15/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
After searching a little more, I figured that we have not been able to resolve this. So I reinstalled eclipse, blew away $HOME/.eclipse dir and used the "sudo ant" approach as earlier. It works fine. I will look into the "non sudo" approach little later, once I make progress on the actual functionality.

Also, how does the $HOME/.eclipse dir get created?

When I restart eclim and try the command line way of invoking, I get connection refused. I can run commands from vim though. What could be the reason?
$ eclim -command java_search
connect: Connection refused

--
Kannan

Eric Van Dewoestine

Jul 20, 2014, 12:10:34 PM7/20/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-07-14 21:27:03, Kannan wrote:
> After searching a little more, I figured that we have not been able to resolve this. So I reinstalled eclipse, blew away $HOME/.eclipse dir and used the "sudo ant" approach as earlier. It works fine. I will look into the "non sudo" approach little later, once I make progress on the actual functionality.

Eclipse can be very finicky if you are switching the location of
bundles without using their p2 tools. I'd recommend removing and
re-installing eclipse, initializing your ~/.eclipse dir, then building
eclim with -Declipse.user.

That or you can do what I do and simply use one of the eclipse.org
distributions and extract it as your non-su user somewhere that is
writable by that user. Then you no longer have to deal with these
split configuration issues.

> Also, how does the $HOME/.eclipse dir get created?

I'm not exactly sure when that directory is created, but you can force
it to be created using:

$ eclipse -initialize

> When I restart eclim and try the command line way of invoking, I get connection refused. I can run commands from vim though. What could be the reason?
> $ eclim -command java_search
> connect: Connection refused

Perhaps you're not using the default port (9091), so you need to tell
eclim the port that you would like to connect to:

$ eclim --nailgun-port 9092 -command ...
eric

Kannan

Jul 20, 2014, 12:39:08 PM7/20/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com
About the "Cannot connect to eclim" error .. yea, I realized that I was running instance of eclim on different port :) So using the -f option to pass eclimrc to eclim command worked.

--
Kannan

Kristóf Katus

Dec 29, 2014, 2:30:22 PM12/29/14
to ecli...@googlegroups.com, rkann...@yahoo.com
I encountered the

java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "org.eclim.application" could not be found in the registry

today. After reading this:

I decided to get rid of my "~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_[...]/p2" directory (renamed it to p2.bak). No RuntimeException is thrown, and :PingEclim works now for me.

Cheers

Kristóf