"Bikes are the new cars"

1 view

Mark Abraham

Jun 21, 2015, 3:20:52 PM6/21/15
to elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, Matthew Nemerson, Doug Hausladen, Parker, Holly
Excellent article on the very rapid rise of protected bike lanes in US cities.
https://twitter.com/urbandata/status/612700954161364992

A factor that is important to keep in mind, but which local and
statewide DOT still too often ignore:

Cyclists who are "comfortable riding with motorized traffic on the
busiest roads, no special protection needed...represents only about 1
percent of the total population of potential cyclists, the study
found."

Mark Abraham

Jun 25, 2015, 1:30:16 PM6/25/15
to Matthew Nemerson, Doug Hausladen, ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, Holly Parker
It's not a coincidence that Cambridge, which has the East Coast's highest bike mode share by far, is also stealing away many of CT's pharmaceutical researchers from Pfizer, BMS, and others:. http://www.nhregister.com/business/20150625/bristol-myers-squibb-will-close-wallingford-facility-by-early-2018

On Monday, June 22, 2015, Matthew Nemerson <mnem...@newhavenct.gov> wrote:
I was in London this weekend and even some of their very narrow streets now have cycle tracks...this is certainly a way to gain competitive advantage for city growth...

Jason Stockmann

Jun 25, 2015, 2:01:58 PM6/25/15
to ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Nemerson, Doug Hausladen, Parker, Holly

To Mark's point, a bike counter was just installed on Broadway in Cambridge, and before 2 pm had counted over 1,000 bikes headed to Kendall Square biotech companies...    Because of the biotech growth in Kendall Square, the Beacon Street/Hampshire/Broadway is now the busiest bicycle corridor in New England and will soon be upgraded to separated cycle tracks along a 1+ mile stretch of Bacon St.  During rush hour I was in a 12-bike traffic jam at the intersection with Cambridge Street, which is something I had never before experienced in the States.

Biogen is actually ramping down and eventually closing their suburban headquarters in Weston, Mass. and moving most of the operations to Kendall Square, despite the far higher costs of office space there.  This would have been unheard of 15-20 years ago, when most firms were still doing the exact opposite.

Check out this photo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153633772149415&set=gm.10153430240678514&type=1&theater