EC2 on Rails status

Paul Dowman

Jan 10, 2010, 9:08:54 PM1/10/10
to ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com, ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com
I've been getting a lot of questions about the status of EC2 on Rails,
which is not surprising given how long it's been since there was a
release.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to continue working on it. I don't have
time. The most time consuming thing is actually testing and releasing,
which is why I haven't released the major changes that have been made
in my GitHub repo.

Those changes include the switch to passenger/nginx, varnish as a
proxy/balancer (and optionally cache), god instead of monit, EBS
support (which I haven't personally tested but I know others are using
it) etc. It's pretty stable with the exception of a few small issues
as far as I know. I've been using it in production for months.

Here's where to find the unreleased version:
http://github.com/pauldowman/ec2onrails

If I had the time to continue working on it I’d probably make some
major changes in the architecture:

* I’d use Chef to configure the image instead of a build script. This
would allow running instances to be upgraded more easily, allow
greater customization by the user, and allow the sharing of common
customizations.
* I’d stop using Capistrano for deployment, or at least move all the
code that’s inside Capistrano recipes into scripts that exist on the
server. (Chef-deploy looks promising but I haven’t had a chance to
play with it yet).
* I would provide better support for elastic clusters (i.e. adding and
removing instances from the cluster).

I have a lot of thoughts on how those things would be achieved, feel
free to get in touch with me if you are building something similar and
want to chat about it.

Paul