Problem with unknown role app_admin

Tim

Sep 24, 2009, 3:23:09 PM9/24/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
Hi

Thanks for sharing ec2onrails it is going to be a huge help. I am
having a problem deploying an app. I'm sorry to ask, but I seem to be
missing something and can't find and answer searching on Google.

I'm using the gem version and this AMI

32-bit server image (US location) for EC2 on Rails 0.9.9.1:
ami-5394733a

After instantiating the instance, I installed Rails 2.3.3.

I run cap ec2onrails:setup with no errors. I also run cap
ec2onrails:db:set_root_password to set the database password. No
problems here either.

When I run cap deploy:cold I hit this error at the very end:

command finished
* executing `deploy:start'
* executing "sudo -p 'sudo password: ' sh -c 'if [ -x /etc/init.d/
mongrel ] ; then /etc/init.d/mongrel start; fi'"
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-2.5.5/lib/capistrano/
configuration/servers.rb:75:in `role_list_from': unknown role
`app_admin' (ArgumentError)

It completes what seems like all of the tasks except for starting the
server.

I have these roles in my deploy.rb file

role :web, "ec2-67-202-63-115.compute-1.amazonaws.com"
role :memcache, "ec2-67-202-63-115.compute-1.amazonaws.com"
role :db, "ec2-67-202-63-115.compute-1.amazonaws.com", :primary
=> true

Are there other roles that should be included in the deploy.rb file?
Is the app_admin role defined somewhere else? Does the problem exist
because I installed Rails 2.3.3?

When I ssh to the server everything seems to be in the right place.
Any advice you might be able to provide would be a huge help.

Best Regards

Tim

Tim

Sep 25, 2009, 11:56:09 AM9/25/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
Hi

Sorry, I figured it out. I had mixed up the deploy.rb file from the
GutHub version with the Gem version. Now that I'm using the right
deploy.rb file everything is working.

Thanks again for a great tool. Sorry to post such a dumb question.

Best

Tim

sbeam

Oct 1, 2009, 10:26:28 PM10/1/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
On Sep 25, 11:56 am, Tim <t...@raddonline.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I figured it out. I had mixed up the deploy.rb file from the
> GutHub version with the Gem version. Now that I'm using the right
> deploy.rb file everything is working.

I am having precisely the same problem with 'cap deploy:cold', but I
don't see how mixing the versions of deploy.rb can be the cause in my
case. I installed with gem and never looked at the github repo (which
does have a few additional options but the defined sample roles are
the same, and doesn't seem related to capistrano roles in any case)

I'd be glad to post any deploy.rb or anything else needed.

But I have a suspicion - I also had to upgrade to Rails 2.3.3 on the
EC server because I am using active_scaffold... does anyone have this
working? I am new to capistrano.