Pasenger support

Aureliano

Jul 18, 2009, 11:37:53 PM7/18/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
Hi,

What's the plan for supporting Passenger and when would this support
be available for an ec2onrails release?

Paul Dowman

Jul 21, 2009, 9:13:56 PM7/21/09
to ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com
My master branch on GitHub has passenger support, I'm actively working on it, there are still a few minor issues, the main thing is this:

In addition to that there are a few small things for example the notifications from god (monitoring daemon) aren't quite right.

My experimental branch has added support for a proxy role using Varnish (with caching disabled by default), that should be merged to the master branch soon.

Paul

dwhsix

Jul 24, 2009, 9:51:43 AM7/24/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel: the latest comment from
hong on your passenger bug:

"Someone on the REE mailing list posted a solution. I haven't had time
yet to
implement it but it's on the TODO list."

http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/detail?id=316#c9

dwh

On Jul 21, 9:13 pm, Paul Dowman <li...@pauldowman.com> wrote:
> My master branch on GitHub has passenger support, I'm actively working on
> it, there are still a few minor issues, the main thing is this:http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/detail?id=316
>
> In addition to that there are a few small things for example the
> notifications from god (monitoring daemon) aren't quite right.
>
> My experimental branch has added support for a proxy role using Varnish
> (with caching disabled by default), that should be merged to the master
> branch soon.
>
> Paul

Paul Dowman

Jul 27, 2009, 10:33:25 AM7/27/09
to ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully they'll get to that soon. There's not much else holding up a release, though I need to tweak the god notification settings and test a few more things like multi-instance setups.

Paul

DrMark

Jul 28, 2009, 12:22:29 AM7/28/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
I saw this a couple of days ago. I have updated my branch and I should
be able to report on this soon.

DrMark

Aureliano

Sep 13, 2009, 6:15:03 AM9/13/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss

On Jul 27, 3:33 pm, Paul Dowman <li...@pauldowman.com> wrote:
> Hopefully they'll get to that soon. There's not much else holding up a
> release, though I need to tweak the god notification settings and test a few
> more things like multi-instance setups.
> Paul

Paul,

Any updates regarding Passenger support? Looks like Passenger authors
don't care much about this issue:

http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/detail?id=316

so waiting for them would not speed up the next release of ec2onrails.

Paul Dowman

Sep 25, 2009, 4:14:31 PM9/25/09
to ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, it doesn't seem to be a high priority issue.

I'm actually using the latest from my master branch in production now and that issue doesn't seem to be a show-stopper (though it probably results in a small performance cost), but there are still a couple of other small issues.

2. God doesn't send notification when nginx is restarted due to a failing HTTP response.

3. HTTP monitoring should be added to the proxy

4. passenger is writing to /usr/local/nginx/logs/error.log even though the error log has been set to /mnt/logs/nginx/error_log

5. SSL isn't working yet

6. And then there's documentation...

Paul

bploetz

Oct 4, 2009, 10:21:35 PM10/4/09
to ec2-on-rails-discuss
FYI, I added SSL support in my clone of your experimental branch, and
I sent you a pull request on GitHub for it months ago......

http://github.com/bploetz/ec2onrails/commit/d13298fc0962eed1cac232b9244bcab5f8f87164

Paul Dowman

Oct 20, 2009, 6:07:42 PM10/20/09
to ec2-on-rai...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry that I haven't responded to your pull request yet.

The problem is that commit includes a few other things besides SSL support, and if I did apply it I'd get conflicts because it touches things that exist in previous commits on your repo that don't exist in mine.

Paul