dscompile

olgert debas

Oct 5, 2012, 12:03:42 PM10/5/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I just finished compiling eblearn on my machine (MAC OS X 10.6.8) and I am trying to prepare the data from mnist.

Running

../../bin/dscompile /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_original/test -outdir /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed -dname test -dims 32x32x1 -kernelsz 4x4

I get I get an error that I cannot determine (sorry I am brand new to eblearn). Can you help?

many thanks,
olgert

odenas@bxlab05:$ ../../bin/dscompile /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_original/test -outdir /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed -dname test -dims 32x32x1 -kernelsz 4x4

             Dataset compiler for libeblearn library
input parameters:
  dataset name: test
  dataset type: regular
  dataset precision: float
  images root directory: /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_original/test
  annotations directory:
  ignored annotations directory:
  output directory: /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed
  outputs: /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed/test_*.mat
  images pattern: .*[.](png|jpg|jpeg|PNG|JPG|JPEG|bmp|BMP|ppm|PPM|pnm|PNM|pgm|PGM|gif|GIF|mat|MAT)
  channels mode: RGB
  preprocessing: yes
  display: no
  display sleep: 0 ms.
  shuffling: no
  usepose: no
  useparts: no
  partsonly: no
  stereo: no
  max per class limitation: none
  max data limitation: none
  mexican_hat_size: 0
  preprocessing kernel size: [ 4x4 ]
  deformations: -1
  resizing method: bilinear
  output dimensions: [ 32x32x1 ]
  minimum input dimensions: <empty>
  maximum input dimensions: <empty>
  no padded: no
  scales: none
  laplacian pyramid: 0
Setting dataset name to: test
Setting preprocessing to: 4x4_bilinear32x32
Preprocessing produces 1 layers per sample.
Preprocessing modules:
0: resizepp module 4x4_bilinear32x32, resizing with method 0 to 32x32 while preserving aspect ratio, pp: rgb_to_rgb
Setting output directory to /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed
Setting temporary output directory to /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_processed
Setting target dimensions to 32x32x1
Setting saving mode to: dynset
Enabling individual sample saving.
Disabling saving sample layers separately.
Setting image pattern to .*[.](png|jpg|jpeg|PNG|JPG|JPEG|bmp|BMP|ppm|PPM|pnm|PNM|pgm|PGM|gif|GIF|mat|MAT)
Counting number of samples in /Users/odenas/projects/xpr_model/eblearn/demos/mnist/mnist_original/test/ ...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_cast'
  what():  std::bad_cast
Abort trap

Pierre Sermanet

Oct 5, 2012, 1:19:40 PM10/5/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olgert,

mnist is already a compiled dataset, you don't need to compile it.
My guess is that dscompile tries to load it as an image since it's looking for .mat images as well (see image pattern) but fails.
If you're just looking to preprocess mnist, just add a preprocessing module in front of your architecture in your conf.
For example add a rgb_to_rgb module, this will normalize the input globally (remove the mean of entire input and divide by the standard deviation of the entire input).

If you run into other problems, try the latest release (1.1) which is more stable than the current trunk: svn co https://eblearn.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/eblearn/tags/eblearn-1.1-r2350/ eblearn

Pierre

the_minion

Oct 5, 2012, 1:34:59 PM10/5/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Olgert,

Dscompile seems to be suffering from this bug in OSX in both the current SVN and in release 1.1
I shall fix it and get back to you.
Thank you for reporting.

the_minion

Oct 5, 2012, 1:44:11 PM10/5/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Olgert,

The bug seems to be when you compile eblearn with gcc on OSX. I don't see the same bug with clang on OSX and the dataset compiles succesfully. Can you try working with clang for now, till I look at why it fails with a gcc compile.

You can use the eblearn trunk that you have already, there is no need to revert to the 1.1 version.

To use clang as your compiler, instead of gcc, you have to
get "Command-line tools for XCode" from http://developer.apple.com/downloads
Install it.
in a terminal, go to eblearn/tools directory

export CC=/usr/bin/clang
export CXX=/usr/bin/clang++
make clean
make

Let me know if you have any issues.
--
Soumith

olgert debas

Oct 8, 2012, 12:20:08 PM10/8/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pierre,
thanks for the information. I had seen the compiled dataset, but was trying to walk through the tutorial.

--olgert

olgert debas

Oct 8, 2012, 12:21:45 PM10/8/12
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
I will, thanks a lot for looking into this!

--olgert