How to generate customized convolutional filters

Hoang Nguyen

Sep 12, 2013, 11:25:15 PM9/12/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I would like to generate convolutional filters (for 2nd, 3rd, ... stages) corresponding to my dataset, but not randomly. My questions are:
1/ What are the default convolutional filters in EBLearn? Are they generated randomly?
2/ Is there any component in EBLearn generating custom convolutional filters (which may be 'conv_table' parameters in configuration files)?

Please help me on this.
Regards,
Hoang.

the_minion

Nov 12, 2013, 9:05:38 AM11/12/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

All the convolution filters in eblearn's convolution layers are learnt (i.e.. customized).

They are initialized randomly, and during the training phase, they're learnt.

Hoang Nguyen

Nov 12, 2013, 9:38:11 AM11/12/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks the_minion. I'm so appreciate your response.

According to http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/publis/pdf/jarrett-iccv-09.pdf, using trained filters (i.e., by Predictive Sparse Decomposition) results in better recognition in comparison with random ones. Do you have any idea about using PSD in EBLearn?

Regards.

the_minion

Nov 12, 2013, 9:57:03 AM11/12/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
PSD, in eblearn, you'd have to write a lot of code.

However, if you use Torch-7, koraykv (one of the authors of the paper) has the code available in https://github.com/koraykv/unsup/

Hoang Nguyen

Nov 12, 2013, 9:04:24 PM11/12/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much. This is cool. I'll check it out.

Best regards,
Hoang.

Hoang Nguyen

Nov 14, 2013, 5:14:22 AM11/14/13
to ebl...@googlegroups.com
Hi the_minion,

Unsup works just fine to me now. But I wonder how to apply it into EBLearn. I mean I don't know how to produce .bin (and .ascii) input file of Unsup from images. Would you please show me how to combine them two?

I also found Lush version of PSD of Koraykv. I tried using output of dscompile as its input, but it doesn't work.

Regards.