Gunmen kill at least 46 people in attack on village in Nigeria

Ebeg Ngamuk

Apr 9, 2023, 9:50:11 AM4/9/23
to ebegngamuk

Gunmen kill at least 46 people in attack on village in Nigeria

 fdgdf.jpg

Forty-six bodies have been found after gunmen attacked a rural village in central northern Nigeria, local government officials said, the latest in a series of deadly assaults in the region.

The attack happened on Wednesday in Umogidi in Benue state, where tit-for-tat clashes are common between nomadic herders and settled farmers competing for land and resources.

“The 46 casualties were from the bodies of victims found and retrieved. Many people are still missing, so the number of those killed may be higher,” Paul Hemba, security adviser to the Benue state governor, told AFP.

He blamed herdsmen, who he said had been attacking local communities over the past month. “Soldiers have been dispatched to the area, so the situation is a bit calm now,” he added.

The motive for the attack was not clear but Benue has been one of the hardest hit by clashes between farmers and Fulani herders they accuse of destroying farmland with their cattle grazing.

Baba Usman Ngelzarma, chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, a union of Fulani herders, warned against blaming herders without investigation. “There is a deliberate campaign of demonisation of Fulani herders, which started in Benue and spread to other parts of Nigeria,” he said.

“We are not exonerating Fulani herders from involvement in some of the attacks, but the way they are always blamed for every attack is unfair and prejudiced.” He called for an investigation to find the real perpetrators.

Bala Ejeh, the local government chairman in the town of Otukpo, said the gunmen attacked on Wednesday afternoon when people were mourning three others killed a day earlier. He also said 46 bodies had been recovered so far, including that of his own son and two relatives.

Communal violence is just one of the security challenges facing president-elect Bola Tinubu, who won a February presidential ballot that was marked by delays and accusations of vote-rigging.

Security forces are also battling a 14-year-long jihadist conflict and attacks by separatists.

Intercommunal violence has spiralled into broader criminality in the north-west and centre of the country, where heavily armed bandit militias ransack villages and carry out mass abductions for ransom.

https://blog.umsida.ac.id/fandy/gunmen-kill-at-least-46-people-in-attack-on-rural-village-in-nigeria-2/

 http://blog.ub.ac.id/dalton/2023/04/09/gunmen-kill-at-least-46-people-in-attack-on-rural-village-in-nigeria-2/

https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/tpronk/tutorial_js_expose_psychojs/issues/1088
https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/de-making/demakepis/issues/165437
https://soundcloud.com/ebeg-ngamuk/gunmen-kill-at-least-46-people-in-attack-on-village-in-nigeria
https://open.firstory.me/user/clg9gjavn016f01sk97xf4o8x/
https://www.scoop.it/topic/gunmen-kill-at-least-46-people-in-attack-on-village-in-nigeria

[...]

new year means new opportunities, and we’re hoping this year gives rise to some much-needed stability and progress. Whatever happens, the Guardian will be there, providing clarity and fearless, independent reporting from around the world, 24/7.

Times are tough, and we know not everyone is in a position to pay for news. But as we’re reader-funded, we rely on the ongoing generosity of those who can afford it. This vital support means millions can continue to read reliable reporting on the events shaping our world. Will you invest in the Guardian this year?

https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/tpronk/tutorial_js_expose_psychojs/issues/1053
https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/tpronk/tutorial_js_expose_psychojs/issues/1054
https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/de-making/demakepis/issues/162039
https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/de-making/demakepis/issues/162061
https://infogram.com/–1hxr4zx1e17kq6y
https://infogram.com/~-ride-on-2023-1hd12yxzyzoxx6k
https://www.scoop.it/topic/2023-1080p-by-roronoazoro0528
https://www.scoop.it/topic/ride-on-2023
https://player.soundon.fm/p/4e0f35ba-0642-4d80-a399-1d62c706b72b
https://player.soundon.fm/p/931b79c7-86f7-47c6-9c54-d71c64662d82
https://www.podcasts.com/ride-on-1/episode/ride-on2023
https://www.podcasts.com/ride-on-2023/episode/2023-1080p
https://open.firstory.me/user/clg8j7gxl00vk01skc9kyelea
https://open.firstory.me/story/clg8iomu9010o01w6e3x78ywa
https://vk.com/@dianna_deee-ride-on-2023
https://vk.com/@kienzy_mylien-ride-on-2023
https://soundcloud.com/cucu-cahyati-460567145/ride-on2023
https://soundcloud.com/hery-potter-818171016/full-ride-on-2023
https://groups.google.com/g/tw-hd-ride-on–2023/c/DyQ1zf84zew
https://groups.google.com/g/ride-on–2023-movie-tw/c/Kv6db_ToGbQ
https://www.flowcode.com/page/karion-ride-on-2023-full-hd
https://www.flowcode.com/page/sibabi-ride-on-2023-full-1080p
https://ltx.bio/karion-ride-on-2023-full-1080p
https://ltx.bio/sibabi-ride-on-2023-full-1080p
https://bio.site/karionrideon2023fullhd
https://bio.site/sibabirideon2023fullhd
https://taplink.cc/karionrideon2023fullhdzh
https://taplink.cc/sibabirideon2023full1080p

Unlike many others, we have no billionaire owner, meaning we can fearlessly chase the truth and report it with integrity. 2023 will be no different; we will work with trademark determination and passion to bring you journalism that’s always free from commercial or political interference. No one edits our editor or diverts our attention from what’s most important.

With your support, we’ll continue to keep Guardian journalism open and free for everyone to read. When access to information is made equal, greater numbers of people can understand global events and their impact on people and communities. Together, we can demand better from the powerful and fight for democracy.

Whether you give a little or a lot, your funding is vital in powering our reporting for years to come.