version 0.3

ry

Aug 18, 2008, 8:34:54 PM8/18/08
to ebbebb
Hello,

I'm happy to release version 0.3.0 of Ebb. This release includes a
rather large refactoring of the internals. In particular, the core of
Ebb was extracted and expanded into a separate C library called libebb
[http://tinyclouds.org/libebb/].

New features in Ebb 0.3 are
- support for chunked requests (uploads) and chunked responses.
- support for HTTPS. Use by supplying two extra parameters to the
options hash
Ebb::start_server(SimpleApp.new,
:port => 4001
:ssl_cert => "/home/ryan/projects/ebb/
benchmark/ca-cert.pem",
:ssl_key => "/home/ryan/projects/ebb/
benchmark/ca-key.pem"
)
to use HTTPS you must have GnuTLS installed. This is optional.
- support for pipelined requests
- no longer dependent on glib

ry

Todd Fisher

Aug 19, 2008, 9:32:36 AM8/19/08
to ebb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  I'm getting a few errors running ebb with a merb application.  The first has to do with the request object created in merb, missing the host value, when running as local host.   Here how to reproduce running against merb 0.9.4.

merb-gen app sample
cd sample
merb-gen controller sample

edit app/views/sample/index.html.erb

add

<%= absolute_url( '/' ) %>

start up the merb app

merb -a ebb

navigate to http://127.0.0.1:4000/sample/

You should get a stack showing the error on this line:
~ can't convert nil into String - (TypeError)
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/merb-core-0.9.4/lib/merb-core/controller/abstract_controller.rb:474:in `+'
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/merb-core-0.9.4/lib/merb-core/controller/abstract_controller.rb:474:in `absolute_url'

Looking in absolute_url:

  def absolute_url(name, rparams={})
    request.protocol + request.host + url(name, rparams)
  end

Inspecting the request object, request.host is nil

I haven't dug any deeper, hoping the reason might be more obvious to folks here.  I'm also noticing that servering static files through ebb, appears to lock the request up, but with no error being reported.

ry dahl

Aug 19, 2008, 7:29:17 PM8/19/08
to ebb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Todd

Apparently Merb is not returning the Content-Length header which it
ought to. It's also returning a String which does not respond to :each
in ruby 1.9. This should be changed.

oddly the content-length thing seems to have been fixed hours ago:
http://github.com/wycats/merb-core/commit/bed47729b87b59bdb15f1a87c61e31d260708356

I'm able to display images properly.

I've added a fix for Merb's lack of content-length header, put in a
default HTTP_HOST value, and upload a new point release: 0.3.2.

ry