How do I run the ebb server?

trustfundbaby

Aug 19, 2008, 4:17:43 AM8/19/08
to ebbebb
This is a dumb question.

I've installed the gem, but running
Ebb.start_server
does not work
and running
Ebb.start_server() only gives me a
'>' prompt on the next line.

Any words of wisdom?

ry dahl

Aug 19, 2008, 4:20:32 AM8/19/08
to ebb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sorry - I don't have many docs online. You pass a rack app as the
first option and any options afterwards. For example

class App
def call(env)
[200, {"Content-Type" => "text/plain", "Transfer-Encoding" =>
"chunked"}, ["hello world"]]
end
end

Ebb.start_server(App.new, :port => 5000)

ry

trustfundbaby

Aug 19, 2008, 4:37:13 AM8/19/08
to ebbebb
So you can't run it from the command line?
It has to be in an rb file?
How would I call an app in ... say ... /var/www/myapp?

On Aug 19, 3:20 am, "ry dahl" <ry.d...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry - I don't have many docs online. You pass a rack app as the
> first option and any options afterwards. For example
>
> class App
>   def call(env)
>     [200, {"Content-Type" => "text/plain", "Transfer-Encoding" =>
> "chunked"}, ["hello world"]]
>   end
> end
>
> Ebb.start_server(App.new, :port => 5000)
>
> ry

trustfundbaby

Aug 19, 2008, 7:11:22 PM8/19/08
to ebbebb
<giving up />
There needs to be some better documentation for this server.

ry dahl

Aug 19, 2008, 7:36:52 PM8/19/08
to ebb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

there is one public function, Ebb.start_server().
Ebb conforms to the Rack interface spec.
This is all Ebb promises and all you need to know to use it.

ry

Stephane

Aug 23, 2008, 4:24:36 AM8/23/08
to ebbebb
<giving up/> too

Rack or not, It was easier to use ebb_rails, and now this command line
is broken.

ry

Aug 24, 2008, 6:24:42 PM8/24/08
to ebbebb
patches welcome. rails has some Rack support built-in now
ry

ry

Aug 25, 2008, 5:13:50 AM8/25/08
to ebbebb
Hi Stephane & trustfundbaby

Actually, I take that back. I've re-added the ebb_rails stuff. I
dislike it because it's hundreds of lines of code just to support
Rails (which I do not use) and maintaining an interface with Rails is
not what I want to focus on with Ebb. That said, I guess many people
do use Rails and without explicit support will not use Ebb. :)

If someone could test it out I'd be grateful
http://github.com/ry/ebb/tree/master
It works for my meager test application.

I'll make an updated release, today or tomorrow with the changes.

ry

Stephane

Aug 25, 2008, 5:32:44 AM8/25/08
to ebb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ry,

thanks for the update. When I sent the first email I though rails have a rack adaptor that is not yet the case.

Now I understand more about your focus. I did use ebb for a while on a stage server because it was pretty fast :). I ve just passed it in production with thin.

I will try to set up a dev server in same environment to test the new version.

Thanks,

2008/8/25 ry <ry....@googlemail.com>

--
Stéphane