URGENT! Act today for the Planet.

Wendy Woods

Aug 30, 2021, 5:57:31 PMAug 30
to Wendy Woods

Hello Friends,

If you care about the future of our planet there is ONE critically important thing you can do today!  We need to turn up the pressure on President Biden to replace a current Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) vacancy with a FERC commissioner who is committed to ensuring a just transition off fossil fuels.   Please share this information with your network.

The planet needs you to write a note to President Biden today telling him to fill the vacancy with someone committed to countering climate chaos.

Some excellent possible candidates are three folks who are examples of justice-centered nominees: Daniel Blackman (former GA PSC candidate whose campaign fought GA Power’s fossil fuel record); Marquita Bradshaw (former TN senate primary winner who successfully fought and won against the Byhalia Pipeline); and Nidhi Thakar (former co-chair of Clean Energy for Biden). We stress that these three were identified in a few short weeks by NGOs and encourage the White House to consider them but also use their resources to find qualified justice-centered BIPOC candidates.   In any case the nominee must be independent from utilities driving the climate crisis.

Why is this so important?  FERC holds the power to determine whether the USA continues using fossil fuels or transitions to renewables.  Of the 5 people on FERC, with the current vacancy, there is an even split between those who are pro-fossil fuels and those against.  The person who fills this vacancy will help determine whether the USA eliminates fossil fuel use.  People President Biden is considering are pro-fossil fuel.  An attachment provides more background on this situation.

Thank you for taking this moment to make a difference!

Wendy

FERC VACANCY BACKGROUND.docx