Urgent to Allan: A Chrome warning that fell on my virtual doorstep yesterday -

Mari'an van Loon

Mar 23, 2021, 2:06:51 AMMar 23
to Allan Jiang, easyvirt...@googlegroups.com

I thought Allan that you would want to know this even if not yet noticed yourself

I quote the message:
“many choirs / vocal groups also use Chrome-based websites and programms for rehearsal and virtual choir purposes . For a few weeks now, a problem has arisen for many users that consists of an accelerated recording (while you have sung neatly 'to the beat', also with latency correction) and 'taps' on the recorded track. You do not hear the acceleration and unwanted taps during recording, but you can hear them while listening. The unwanted acceleration makes your recording actually worthless.
I've researched this. The problem is not in your laptop or MacBook, not in your microphone (settings) and also not in the program or website  itself. The problem is caused by a recent upgrade of your browser. The people experiencing this problem use a browser based on the Chromium platform. Most browsers on this platform have recently been upgraded to Chrome89. This is the version that is causing the problems. More precisely, version 89.0.4389.90. This applies to both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, which is also based on this platform. A subsequent update of Chrome89 (version 89.0.4389.95) with 'bug fixes' is on the way and will be rolled out worldwide in the coming weeks. It is still unknown whether this will also solve the problems mentioned.
If you have the problem with gears in your recordings, there are two alternatives at this point:
1) Use Opera as your browser. It is also based on Chromium, but not yet upgraded to Chrome89.
2) Use a portable version of Chrome88 (i.e. put an earlier version of your browser on a USB stick and start your browser from that USB stick).”

Allan Jiang

Mar 23, 2021, 12:37:57 PMMar 23
to EasyVirtualChoir
Thanks Mari'an! It looks like a number of users on our site have already been using Chrome 89 and haven't reported any problems. I will keep an eye on it, however. Thanks for letting us know!

Allan

Martha Ann Burford

Mar 23, 2021, 1:23:24 PMMar 23
to Allan Jiang, EasyVirtualChoir
Chrome89 hasn't been an issue for me or any of the folk with whom I'm working.

Martha Jones Burford (she/her/hers)
Minister of Music, Grace Episcopal Church, Lexington, Virginia
Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music, The Episcopal Church
Co-Editor, Church Music Forward

In Franciscan parlance, Jesus did not come to change the mind of God about humanity; Jesus came to change the mind of humanity about God. ~Richard Rohr