On assertions API limits

Joel Costigliola

Oct 5, 2012, 7:47:03 AM10/5/12
to easytes...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm starting a discussion on what assertions fest-assert-core should provide and not provide.

My point of view is we should provide a rich API, having a rich API is what made me choose Fest over Hamcrest.

I don't reming user complaining about providing too much assertions, do you guys had some complain ?

I know there is a line to be drawn on what assertions we should accept, so what we may try doing is having core assertions limited to most basic usage and an extension module providing the assertions that were not chosen in the core module.
I think also we should build Fest on user feedback.

WDYT ?

Joel

Alex Ruiz

Oct 5, 2012, 10:51:35 AM10/5/12
to easytes...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the thought. The key here is how we practice it.

Sure, we should drive development based on user feedback. This does not mean that we are going to satisfy every request. Users know what they need but they may not know how their needs fit into FEST's design and mission. That's why we agree on how we are going to add new functionality to the project (2 devs approval.) There are no hard rules on approvals. Like I said so many times, we need to treat them individually.

I don't think users will ever complain that we provide too many assertions, as long as those assertions are useful and intuitive. Also, users are not going to use all assertion classes (e.g. StringAssert, FileAssert) so they really wouldn't know how many asserts we provide. So I think this argument is not strong enough.

Regarding ThrowableAssert, I think I went overboard when I thought about removing it. I still don't like this assertion, but I'll check with users to see if anybody cares about it.

Cheers,
-Alex

Joel