Using a remote camera (WebRTC or other) as my camera in a call

Dave

Aug 12, 2018, 4:37:17 PM8/12/18
to EasyRTC
Hi,

Apologies if this is already known/answered I'm new to WebRTC and might not be using the correct terminology in searches.

What I want to do is: start a WebRTC session (using easyRTC) but use a remote camera+mic as my stream in calls rather than the directly attached camera and microphone.

Ideally the remote camera will be a Raspberry Pi - I can access the feed from this camera in a number of ways including WebRTC (UV4L) or as a direct stream etc and I can trust the connection from my system to the Pi.

It looks like using getRemoteStream() might be the sort of thing I'm after - but this only seems to be for peers once connected. I'd like the process to be transparent to the user and they don't have to interact with the Pi, they just fire up the easyRTC customised implementation and the camera that appears as theirs is the one attached to the Pi.

I hope that makes sense? I'm looking at this to allow a remote wider-field-of-view camera for conferencing and also if possible to split encoding and decoding H264 loads between two systems.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave.