video + file transfer

Francisco José Fernández-Medina López

Aug 28, 2014, 6:09:27 AM8/28/14
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

First of all thank you very much for the work that you have done and also apologize for my English. I'm trying to make a chat application that allow videoconference and file sharing. Separately demos work correctly but my problems start when i try to do both. How can i know, in the AcceptChecker function, if the call is for videoconference or file sharing? When is for videoconference i want to allow user accept the call or not, but for file sharing he must accept it automatically. Probably is a newbie question but im newbie programmer too :-D

I hope you understand my problem, explain what is needed and also attached my js file.

Regards!
chat.js

Eric Davies

Sep 2, 2014, 9:58:21 AM9/2/14
to eas...@googlegroups.com
You raise an interesting point which I'll need to think about.

jos...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 10:43:27 AM2/4/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I was thinking about a similar issue today in my application and came across this while searching. It would be very helpful to have something similar to the media_type parameter inside of the AcceptChecker callback (perhaps an array of enabled media types?).

I'm curious if you came to any conclusions on this or if you could share some of your thoughts with me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joseph

Eric Davies

Feb 6, 2015, 10:40:18 PM2/6/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
As I see it, your simplest option is to open a peer connection with a data channel initially. If two peers want to use audio/video mediastreams at a later point, shut down the peer connection and open another peer connection that supports data channels and mediastreams.

If you were restricting yourself to Chrome, you could add media streams to a peer connection after it had already been established, removing the need to shutdown an earlier peer connection that only supported data channels. But, last I heard, that doesn't work with Firefox.

Easyrtc only supports a single peer connection between two peers. At the time it was written, getting two peers to communicate was a feat, nobody was thinking about multiple connections between two peers.