EasyRTC 1.0 Beta Now Available

Rod Apeldoorn

Dec 10, 2013, 6:11:15 PM12/10/13
Howdy All!

I just pushed v1.0.5-beta up to our GitHub repository, NPM, and our demo server.

If you are looking to start a new WebRTC project using EasyRTC, then this is the recommended branch.

New Features from v0.9 (the current master branch)
  • Now a Node.JS module instead of an application (our #1 requested feature)
  • Rooms - Clients can join one or more rooms. Can only see others in same room.
  • Applications - separate EasyRTC applications can have differing options etc.
  • API fields (Client based variables)
  • Application, room, and session fields (Server based variables)
  • Custom authentication
  • Server options handler
  • Server is now event driven
  • File transfer API using data channels

For install instructions:

Next Steps:
  • Bug testing and fixing. Please report any you find.
  • Documentation! We've added lots, but there is plenty more to do.
  • EasyRTC.com Website. We'll be updating the website to house easier to read documentation.
  • YouTube Videos. There are several new tutorial videos planned to work against this release.

I'd like to send a special thanks to the alpha channel testers. I'll be closing down that branch.

Rod Apeldoorn,
EasyRTC Server Lead,

Scott Provost

Dec 6, 2013, 11:22:02 AM12/6/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
root@server:/var/nodes/easyrtc# npm install

npm ERR! Error: No compatible version found: easyrtc
npm ERR! No valid targets found.
npm ERR! Perhaps not compatible with your version of node?
npm ERR!     at installTargetsError (/usr/share/npm/lib/cache.js:488:10)
npm ERR!     at next_ (/usr/share/npm/lib/cache.js:438:17)
npm ERR!     at next (/usr/share/npm/lib/cache.js:415:44)
npm ERR!     at /usr/share/npm/lib/cache.js:408:5
npm ERR!     at saved (/usr/share/npm/lib/utils/npm-registry-client/get.js:147:7)
npm ERR!     at Object.oncomplete (/usr/lib/nodejs/graceful-fs.js:230:7)
npm ERR! You may report this log at:
npm ERR! or use
npm ERR!     reportbug --attach /var/nodes/easyrtc/npm-debug.log npm
npm ERR!
npm ERR! System Linux 3.8.0-34-generic
npm ERR! command "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "install"
npm ERR! cwd /var/nodes/easyrtc
npm ERR! node -v v0.6.19
npm ERR! npm -v 1.1.4
npm ERR! message No compatible version found: easyrtc
npm ERR! message No valid targets found.
npm ERR! message Perhaps not compatible with your version of node?
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     /var/nodes/easyrtc/npm-debug.log
npm not ok

Scott Provost

Dec 6, 2013, 1:20:39 PM12/6/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Solved
I followed the instruction on this page to compile node js instead of using the ubuntu packaged version and the errors went away.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-install-an-upstream-version-of-node-js-on-ubuntu-12-04

Rod Apeldoorn

Dec 6, 2013, 3:46:10 PM12/6/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
For installing Node.js on Linux, I generally use their supplied packages:
The version of Node.js which is in the Ubuntu community repository is dreadfully old.

Rod Apeldoorn

Dec 13, 2013, 6:42:43 PM12/13/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com

We just pushed v1.0.6-beta to the Github beta branchNPM, and our demo server.

There are a few new fixes and features, but the majority of the work was in cleanup and documentation.

New Features:
  • API - New convenience function to return an array of easyrtcid's which match a username. easyrtc.usernameToIds()
  • Server - New application level function for determining if an easyrtcid is currently connected. appObj.isConnected()
  • Documentation - New guide for installing EasyRTC alongside another server
  • Documentation - New guide for running EasyRTC with SSL
  • Documentation - New guide for using rooms (still in progress)

Changes:

  • API - easyrtc_closeicon uses an inline svg in the easyrtc.css file instead of an external svg.
  • API - easyrtc.easyApp now renders remote video object invisible on stream close
  • API - Fixed some handling in joinRoom and leaveRoom (which now optionally allows success and failure callbacks)
  • Server - Code cleanup. Error handling improvements. Removal of debug code.
  • Documentation - Updates to server configuration, upcoming features, and client tutorial.

Fixes:

  • API - Handle a possibility of the lastLoggedInList not having a room entry before adding an easyrtcid to it (Related to issue #14)
  • Demos - Screen share and rooms demo now properly use easyrtc.setUsername()
  • Server - Now disconnects client if an easyrtcAuth message is received when they are already logged in.
  • Server - Message verification fixes for easyrtcsid, and application names
A number of the the fixes and features are in response to comments and suggestions made here in the group, and in our issue tracker. A big thanks to everyone contributing!

Jon Schull

Dec 15, 2013, 3:44:49 PM12/15/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Followed instructions, downloaded, installed, ran.
JUST WORKED.
This never happens.

Just want to say thanks!
Message has been deleted

Rod Apeldoorn

Dec 18, 2013, 8:33:38 PM12/18/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
We just pushed v1.0.7 to the GitHub beta branch, npm, and the demo server.

This is the first non-beta release, which means that after some more testing, it will be moved to the master branch. Please give this version a good run through to see if there are any show-stoppers.

New Features:

  • Server - New function connectionObj.getUsername() to return the username of the specified connection.
  • Documentation - New guide for handling ICE configuration, including STUN and TURN
  • Documentation - New guide for handling authentication.

Changes:

  • API - Renamed easyrtc.usernamePattern to easyrtc.usernameRegExp to align with server option name. Set the default value to align with default server option value.
  • Server - Cleanup of logging and error handling
  • Server - connectionObj.roomJoin() will no longer create a room if a room doesn't already exist. This logic is handled by the roomJoin event.
  • Demos - General cleanup including variable renaming (Why shoeldn't "signaling" have two L's?)

Fixes:

  • Server - Fixed issue when joining rooms when roomAutoCreateEnable option is disabled. When joining room fails, an error message is now returned rather than an empty roomData object. Related to issue #17
  • Demos - Fixes and improvements for rooms demo.

David Strejc

Dec 19, 2013, 10:00:55 AM12/19/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Great news.

Thanks for this version.

I got question - I am very new to your EasyRTC technology and I've just started using it on my server.

Video works well but I am interested also in sharing file functionality with EasyRTC. I've tried demo, but something went wrong and I don't know where can be a problem ... I will try to solve it and put more info about this in here - I am running Ubuntu Linux 13.10 on my laptop and it freezed when I've tried to share a file between Firefox and Chrome (but problem can be in versions ... I don't care for now).

I want to just ask - the idea behind file sharing is that two users can drag and drop file into their browsers and share file this way - am I right?

Many thanks for reply from anyone. And many thanks for this astonishing software.

David Strejc

Eric Davies

Dec 19, 2013, 4:25:35 PM12/19/13
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

yes, our file sharing support does let you drag and drop files into a browser to share.

Unfortunately, data channel interop between Chrome and Firefox is pretty poor. It's supposed to get fixed in some upcoming version. When I changed the user interface for the file sharing demo (it was only letting you drop a file once), I neglected to check that the fallback to websockets was working properly. I'll fix that in the near future.

Eric.

Rod Apeldoorn

Dec 20, 2013, 2:35:00 PM12/20/13
Howdy all,

I merged v1.0.7 into the master branch and tagged it. The beta branch will continue to be where new features are added and tested.

We had a few testers go at it, and the biggest complaint had to do with documentation and demos. One thing we were discussing was adding Hopscotch guides to the demos.

Alas half our team has been sick, and the other half is in recovery so our website didn't get the updates done. In progress!