Is it possible to check quality of audio and video of a ongoing call !!

saurav...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 2:30:35 AM2/10/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Is there a way to check the quality of audio and video for a ongoing call? I have found problems specifically with quality of audio is sometime not good and one of the two guys of that call is not getting the voice of the other? Is there a way to debug why such things happen so that I can take some kind of corrective measures in case of a problem?
Any thoughts on this topic ..

Eric Davies

Feb 10, 2015, 10:12:52 AM2/10/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
the most common problem you'll run into is that guy you can hear, he's got his default microphone set to something that isn't getting any sound. In short, user error.
You can use the web audio api (provided by the browser) to grab samples from the input stream and see if you are getting any signal.

Fabian Bernhard

Feb 26, 2015, 12:33:26 AM2/26/15
to eas...@googlegroups.com
We run into a different problem: one user had a microphone but no camera. He was also using a Bloomberg keyboard which, for some reason, was recognised by Chrome as a camera device. Our system picked up the "camera device" and started a video call. Chrome failed silently and did not even send audio.

Our solution was to explicitly ask the user if a camera device is present or not.

In our experience, bad voice and video quality is usually due to bandwidth issues. Also, users on WiFi networks tend to have more issues, especially if there are lots of other WiFi networks running on the same channel.