Female and male WEBL in Twin Lakes (Mammoth Lakes basin)

Sarah Roeske

Jun 23, 2021, 8:55:09 AM6/23/21
to easternsi...@googlegroups.com
I returned to the same area where I observed a male Western Bluebird on June 6. A group of 4 of us were standing on the gravel road between the Twin Lakes campground and the Waterfall trail, birding on the edge of sunlight and shadow around 6:10 pm, when I heard the soft call note of a WEBL. We started scanning the lodgepole pine on the edge of the meadow, adjacent to the campground, and two of us had a good view of a female WEBL on a dead branch. She took off and another bluebird, presumably male? took off as well, they spiraled around next to the pine, then settled back down. Did not have a clear view of the male but based on profile was highly likely it was also a WEBL. See report also of a solo male seen earlier that afternoon within 100 m of this location.
 Location of sighting: 37.614771, 119.010553.

Breeding pair?!? I will be in this area for another couple of days, hope to get more reports in on their behavior.
Sarah Roeske

Sarah Roeske

Jun 23, 2021, 11:21:35 AM6/23/21
to easternsi...@googlegroups.com
Amendment and correction to last night's WEBL pair report -
   three birders, not four - (shouldn't file reports late at night!) - Myself, Karl Mertz (my spouse), and Carly Hawkins, a PhD student in Ecology at UCDavis, studying bird behavior. I heard the bluebirds, then she and I saw the female. All 3 of us watched the pair of birds spiraling around the lodgepole.
    elevation of meadow is ~ 8620'.
Just did a short tour of the meadow this am between 6:30-7  -no bluebirds seen.
  Sarah Roeske

--

---