hummingbirds!

Sherry Taylor

Jul 25, 2021, 2:35:14 PM7/25/21
to EasternSierraBirds
For the past two weeks I am seeing an increasing number of hummingbirds at my feeder.  They have almost finished 4 cups of nectar water in three days!  Big numbers of Rufous and Anna's plus a few  Black-chinned and Calliope.  The diversity of species is unusual at my house.  I sometimes get big groups of Rufous but nothing like this.
Any thoughts on why so many birds?  Fires, lack of flowers?
Sherry Taylor

Jerry Zatorski

Jul 25, 2021, 4:04:32 PM7/25/21
to Sherry Taylor, EasternSierraBirds
I have also have a big influx of hummers at my feeders.  I fill my feeders just about daily right now.  Many Rufous plus resident Black-chinned & Costa's and the occasional Callope.  Anna's haven't come back down from the mountains yet, and once the Rufous came in about July 4th weekend I haven't seen any Broad-tailed since then.  A possible combination of drought and fires could be leading the RUHU to our area.

J. Zatorski

--

---

Sherry Taylor

Jul 26, 2021, 10:05:16 AM7/26/21
to Richard S Cimino, Jerry Zatorski, EasternSierraBirds
Sorry, forgot to mention.  I am in Mammoth.
Sherry Taylor

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 8:45 PM Richard S Cimino <rsci...@gmail.com> wrote:
Where are you located? I’m in Lee Vining.
Rich Cimino

Sent from my iPhone

Brad Hacker

Jul 26, 2021, 8:37:05 PM7/26/21
to easternsi...@googlegroups.com
Not just on the east side: notable increase in Santa Barbara too, from ~20 birds to ~80 over the past couple weeks.
Annas > Allens > Black-Chinned.
--

---

Bradley Hacker