Tioga Pass Entrance and Lee Vining

Richard Cimino

Jul 30, 2021, 11:56:06 AM7/30/21
to easternsi...@googlegroups.com

A late report, hopefully a fun read.

Four birders from Indiana and I birding Dana Meadows Yosemite National Park in the late afternoon on Sunday were treated to a Northern Goshawk (Juvenile) while driving slowly toward the entrance booth.

The accipiter flew from the Mt. Dana Meadow in front of the car. As it was landing on a branch of a Sierra Juniper Tree, its irregular tail bands showed well. I was able to make a U-turn and re-found the NOGO for I.D. review and confirmation. Not soon after the sighting the rainstorm began.

In Lee Vining. the El Mono Motel hummingbird feeders had several Anna’s Hummingbirds, a few Rufous and a single Black-chinned Hummingbird.

Monday morning, driving along Hwy 120 at 6:30 AM, there were Pinyon Jays calling and seen along the highway. A bit further west walking the South Tufa Area we had three Sage Thrashers, a Lark Sparrow, and a singing Black-throated Sparrow.

In Lee Vining Canyon we had Red-breasted Sapsucker and Pygmy Nuthatches.

All good life birds for a visiting mid-west birder.

Rich Cimino

Yellowbilled Tours