WEBL at 8600' Mammoth Lakes

Sarah Roeske

Jun 7, 2021, 5:41:41 PM6/7/21
to easternsi...@googlegroups.com
Sunday June 6 eBird report by Sarah Roeske -
~ 7:45 am - In process of standing still for some time on the edge of the dense alder/willow patch, SW end of Upper Twin lakes (Mammoth), I saw a Western Bluebird fly into the grasses on edge, grab a small bug, sit close enough to me that I had a great view, then took off uphill to sit in deep shade on a brush pile. Hence attached photo is out of focus (auto-focus couldn't see the bird - need a manual camera!).
   Location:  37.614966° N, 119.011703° W
   I have a USFS cabin nearby so listen and watch birds every morning we are there in the summer, this was the first I had seen a WEBL in this basin. Quite a pleasant surprise!
I was struck by two things - no call notes or song, solo bird.
   Sarah Roeske
Western Bluebird Twin Lakes campground area.jpg