Eastern Jhb Callies December doo8 newsletter

1 view

Patrick Craven

Dec 4, 2008, 1:41:19 PM12/4/08
to eastern...@googlegroups.com
Eastern Johannesburg Caledonian Society

PO Box 15049 Farramere 1518

Chief: Fred Brokenshire - Secretary: Janette Pollock - Newsletter Editor: Patrick Craven

DECEMBER 2008 NEWSLETTER

A very happy Christmas to all our readers

DIARY

Saturday 6 December, 19h00. St Andrew commemoration and Christmas Party, St Andrew's Church Hall, Ocean Street, Kensington. Tickets R50, Children R25. [My apologies for putting the wrong prices in the November newsletter!] To book please phone Jean on 011 849 1627.

As usual, please bring a small present (max R20) marked for Man or Lady, or if for a child, his or her name.

_____________________________________

Burns Night

Saturday 24 January 2009, Benoni Country Club, Morris Avenue, Morehill. The great traditional celebration of the life and works of our national poet. Details next month.

WELCOME

To our very newest member, Jessica Erin Powell, daughter of Donna and Trevor and baby sister for Matthew, born on 1 December 2008.

CONGRATULATIONS

Happy birthday this month to: Eileen Hynd, Tracyann Hynd, Duncan Dick, Anne Wilson, Willie Stewart, Nick James, Revel Saayman Isobel Storey, Ray Horwitz, Eileen Allister, Charley Lewis, Fiona

Wallace, Patricia Alexander, Cynthia Barnes, Bob Hillcoat, Richard Young,

Happy anniversary to: Norma and Patrick Craven, Carol and Archie Kane, Fiona and Charley Lewis, Cynthia and Arthur Barnes.

Welcome back

To Jean Pryde who is back in South Africa for a visit.

Bon Voyage

To Brian and Jean Christie, and John and Angela Myles who are off to Scotland for Christmas holidays.

Caledonian Congress 2009

Next year's Congress will be held here in Gauteng, from 9-11 October 2009. A committee chaired by Jean Kelly is already hard at work making plans. If you have any good ideas about venues, sponsors, fund-raising, etc or to volunteer to join the committee, please phone Jean on 083 602 1552.

D'ye ken?

1.    What place did Winston Churchill call a city of "bestial drunkenness"?

2.    Who described the politicians who signed the 1707 Act of Union as a "parcel of rogues"?

3.    At which battle in 1297 did William Wallace beat the English?

4.    Who is Nicola Sturgeon?

5.    What is HBOS and why is it in the news?

Did ye ken?

1.    Which cave on the island of Staffa inspired an overture by Mendelssohn of the same name? Fingal's Cave

2.    Which town has recently been voted, for the second time, as the "most dismal" in Scotland? Cumbernauld

3.    Where is the Deep Sea World aquarium? North Queensferry

4.    Why has Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi been in the news in Scotland? He is one of the Libyans convicted for the Lockerbie bombing, who is appealing to be released on parole on health grounds.

5.    Which Scottish city is building a controversial tram project? Edinburgh.

News from Scotland

Scots stars unite for Homecoming celebrations advert

Ian Dow, Daily Record, 29 November 2008

SCOTS stars and sporting heroes are teaming up in a rousing TV advert calling on exiles abroad to visit their native land in 2009.

Next year, the 250th anniversary of the birth of Rabbie Burns, has been designated the year of Homecoming Scotland.

Sir Sean Connery, Brian Cox, Lulu, Sandi Thom and Eddi Reader are just some of stars of movies and music who each sing a line of Dougie MacLean's classic anthem Caledonia.

And from the sporting world, golfer Sam Torrance and triple Olympian Chris Hoy add their voices to the campaign.

First Minister Alex Salmond launched the advert at the Edinburgh Filmhouse yesterday.

And he picked out Sam and Chris for special praise for their performances.

He said: "Eddi, Lulu and Sandi are all professional musicians and Sir Sean and Brian are giants in the acting world. Chris and Sam are sportsmen but they really carried their lines. They were tremendous."

The First Minister doesn't appear in the advert but will sing a duet of Caledonia with Sandi Thom at a gig in February next year in her home town of Banff.

The advert, first shown last night, will run on STV, Border and Grampian channels until next Friday.

It cost around £200,000 to make and all the performers gave their time for free.

Also appearing are chart-topper Amy Macdonald and Glasgow Warriors rugby stars Kelly Brown and Thom Evans.

Each of the celebrities sings in front of an iconic image of a Scottish location.

Eddi appears before the Robert Burns Statue in Dumfries, Kelly and Thom at the Strathisla Distillery on Speyside, Sam at Turnberry and Sir Sean with Edinburgh Castle behind him.

The advert will also be put on websites and YouTube to reach out worldwide.

Salmond said: "Caledonia is a song that resonates with Scots the world over.

For those far away, it is a reminder of strong bonds, full of the promise of return. That's what makes it the perfect anthem for our year of homecoming.

"Burns himself wrote a song for his native Caledonia and, with over 200 events to mark the occasion, this advert will sing to Scots about what we have to celebrate.

"I'm especially happy we have a stellar line-up of Scottish talent who will deliver this invitation."

Folk singer MacLean told how he wrote his "wee homesick song" nearly 30 years ago when he was busking with three Irish friends in France.

He said: "We were all feeling a bit homesick and I wrote this song while sitting on a beach. It took me about five minutes and I played it that night to the Irish guys.

"The next day, we were on our way home."

But the song - famously sung by Frankie Miller for a beer advert - doesn't just resonate with Scots.

Dougie added: "There have been 300 cover versions and it has been translated into many languages."

Pop star Sandi said: "To be asked to perform Caledonia is a tremendous honour and I think the ad looks superb. A great song and no gimmicks."

Sheep turning blue for St Andrew

BBC, 27 November

A flock of blue sheep has appeared in central Scotland as part of a series of events to mark St Andrew's Day.

Celebrations of the nation's patron saint will be taking place across the country on Sunday 30 November.

The blue sheep, coloured with animal-friendly paint, have popped up near Junction 3a of the M8.

Andrew Jack, the farmer who owns the flock, said: "The blue sheep are making a lot of people smile on their way to work on the M8."

Mr Jack added: "They're always a great talking point and we were pleased to help out to celebrate St Andrew's Day this weekend."

Other landmarks taking part in the festivities include the Clyde Arc in Glasgow, The Balmoral Hotel clock tower in Edinburgh and St Andrew's Cathedral in Inverness.

Song and dance

A weekend of events in the capital includes a Happy March for children, music from Sandi Thom and The Dykeenies, along with nights of contemporary ceilidh action with Salsa Celtica.

A ceilidh is also scheduled for Aberdeen, while a fashion show and medieval day is taking place in Dundee and a street party featuring the Red Hot Chilli Pipers is set for Inverness.

Glasgow's George Square plays host to live music and dancing in the city's Shindig on the Square and in St Andrews itself entertainment includes a St Andrew's Day procession, outdoor music and entertainment and "beating the retreat".

The festivities act as a precursor to the year of events planned to celebrate Scotland and its diverse culture as part of the Homecoming Scotland campaign.

A Visit for Free initiative will also see more than 60 of Scotland's top visitor attractions open their doors.

Reindeer meat sales rocket as Scots serve up Rudolph for Christmas

Liz Longden, Daily Record, 29 November

WATCH out, Rudolph - reindeer's on the menu for Christmas dinner this year.

Sales of reindeer meat are said to be rocketing in Scotland.

And despite costing around £14 per steak, many festive diners will be tucking into Rudolf's chums instead of the more traditional turkey this year.

Kezie Foods, who supply the exotic meat, claim they are struggling to keep up with demand.

Yesterday, director Walter Murray said: "A lot of people are taking reindeer roasts at this time of year.

We've been doing it for about four or five years but it's growing year on year and this is the busiest we've been with it.

"I think we're pretty close to being sold out this year. We'll get more stocks in if we can but there's a limited supply so it's quite hard.

"Different things come in and out of fashion but overall, exotic meats are going up and up. It's surprising in the current economic climate."

The festive fodder is ordered direct from Scandinavia and - unsurprisingly - tastes a little bit like venison.

Walter added: "It's popular with people who want to try something a little bit different.

"It's similar to venison but not quite the same. It is distinctly different but it comes from the same family. It's a lean meat, so you would cook it slowly."

The Kezie website suggests lightly seasoning and pan-frying the steak then serving it alongside traditional roast vegetables.

The company, of Duns, Berwickshire, have been trading exotic meats for around 12 years and list crocodile, python and kangaroo among their top sellers.

Reindeer is now outselling all other meats.

In 2006, Nordic chef Laila Spik published How To Cook A Reindeer. The book promised "quick and simple recipes for preparing steak, soup, marrow, tongue - and other more delicate parts".

Pupils go Forth to hoist the Saltire

Lars Niven, The Courier, 29 November

TWO LUCKY youngsters from Fife were given a bird's eye view of the area yesterday as they unfurled a Saltire atop the Forth Road Bridge.

Jasmine McClure (11) and Damien Peacock (10) were given the honour after they won a St Andrew's Day competition sponsored by SNP Fife councillor Douglas Chapman.

Their prize took them to the top of one of the bridge's massive supporting towers for a nerve-wracking photoshoot with one of our photographers.

Fortunately the weather stayed fair, if more than a little chilly, for Jasmine and Damien and they enjoyed the spectacular view.

The unveiling of the Saltire also marked the start of celebrations for the Year of Homecoming 2009.

Mr Chapman was full of praise for the way the pair coped.

"It's more than just flying a flag, the St Andrew's cross is a symbol of nationhood and who we are. That's something we cannot afford to lose as we encourage our country to move onwards and upwards," he said.

It was an extra special treat for Damien as his granddad used to work on the bridge.

Don't forget: You can get this newsletter via email. Please contact me on:

patrick...@gmail.com

Best wishes to you all. Patrick

December 2008 newsletter.docx