March GOOD BEER News - Friday Growler Hours, 3 NEW BEERS, more cask ale, more beer fests

Scott at East End Brewing

Mar 18, 2008, 12:34:36 PM3/18/08
to "GOOD BEER News" from East End Brewing
Hello GOOD BEER Fans - and happy SPRING!

I hope you've managed to push on without this overdue, not-so-monthly
dose of GOOD BEER News. All of us here at East End Brewing (getting
that joke out of the way early this time) are excited about the
arrival of a new season - not because it means that your Growler Hour
experience will soon leave you with more feeling in your hands and
toes, though that's a nice side effect. But it's because of all the
great "News" we have planned for you: New beers, New hours, New press,
New beer fests, and a New cask ale spot...did I mention the New
beers? Yes, I said beerSSS - as in plural. In fact, there's a
outright wheatfest in the making here.

But as usual, there's some other pressing (and pulling) old business
to cover before we get to the beer...

HERE'S TO SURVIVING ANOTHER BARLEYWINE FEST!
Thanks to everyone who came out for the ever-growing Kelly's HELL WITH
THE LID OFF Barleywine festival, and a HUGE thanks for once again,
making Gratitude your top pick of the fest - three years running! It
just keeps getting better and better, and next year, there is rumor of
a vertical Gratitude tasting during the Sunday Session... but only Dan
can say for sure.
Speaking of Gratitude, I'd also like to thank you for your patience on
the release of this year's bottled form of this beer. The labeling
side is taking a bit longer than expected, mostly because I simply
haven't gotten my act together here yet... but the release day will
come. I promise.

FRIDAY GROWLER HOURS STARTING IN APRIL!
We've been talking about it for a long time now, and it's finally
time. We're adding FRIDAYS from 5-7pm to the days that we're open for
Growlering! Why now? Well, we just got about 2,500 of those map
cards back from the printer... you know, the ones with our current
outdated hours printed on them? The timing was perfect (grrrrr.....),
so in spite of what the cards say, we'll be open on Fridays starting
in April - and the first one is on the 4th, so I'll see you here!

BEER DINNERS: ONE FULL, ONE TO BE FILLED
I was going to talk about our next Seasonal Veg Beer Dinner at Bigelow
Grille tomorrow night, but since it's already way overbooked, I'll
just link to the menu and tell you to plan ahead for next season...
http://bigelowgrille.com/... which should come around in about 3
months. Plan ahead next time, okay?

But on the upside, I saved you a spot at the East End Brewing/Kaya
Beer Dinner on April 6th. There's nothing on their website about it
yet, but you can still call and make your reservations:
http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya/

TOP TEN'S ALL AROUND FOR BLACK STRAP STOUT!
In a growler, in a glass, or in a cupcake, Black Strap Stout seems to
always land in the top ten. First it was on www.BeerAdvocate.com, and
now thanks to confectionery folks at Dozen Cupcakes (http://
www.dozencupcakes.com/)... now it's on MSN's top 10 cupcakes list:
http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6336620&page=3
Sweet!

CASK ALE COMING TO PIPERS PUB!
Speaking of Black Strap, Drew at Piper's Pub has been threatening to
install a cask system and hand engine at his place for over a year
now, and he's finally getting around putting his firkin where his
mouth is. (Floods can change your plans a bit, eh?) In fact, it may
be happening this very month! But only he can say for sure. The best
part is that we'll be christening the new system with none other than
Black Strap Stout! So, all you need to do now is call Pipers every
hour on the hour at 412-381-3977 to see if it's cask time yet. Did I
mention they're smoke free now too?

***ALLERGEN WARNING*** Before proceeding, you should know that
portions of this newsletter were written on a keyboard at a
manufacturing facility that in addition to producing occasionally
"witty" newsletters, also produces beers made with wheat. Lots of
wheat...in fact, right now, the place is just FULL OF IT! ...like
someone else you know.

WHEATFEST 2008: FOUR WHEAT BEERS ON TAP AT ONCE!
I didn't really plan for it. It's just how it kinda shook out. Your
year-round Growler Hours favorite, East End Witte will be joined by
three other wheat beers this month. Here's the story on the other
three...

1. MONKEY BOY: This beer marks the long awaited completion of the 4
season seasonal lineup for East End. Pedal Pale Ale in the summer, Big
Hop Harvest in the Fall, Snow Melt Winter Ale in (you guessed it)
Winter, and Spring...and well, spring is perfect for MONKEY BOY, a
hefewiezen with a distinct banana ester quality about it. (Get it?
Bananas = Monkeys? You didn't think we can up with the name while
were swinging around the brewery flinging feces at each other, did
you?) Ahem... But let me be clear: No bananas harmed in brewing this
beer - these flavors come from our German yeast strain that, when
carefully managed, gives us wonderful banana-ey flavors and aromas.
It's a pretty simply beer really. All about the yeast, and all about
enjoying it FRESH. It'll be great for the warmer weather if it ever
decides to stay. Please don't feel left out though, as I neglected to
announce that it went on tap this past Thursday at Growler Hours, and
will stay on tap here and around town until you see some nutjob
pulling a full keg of beer around on his bicycle...which should happen
in late May.

2. HERE GOSE NOTHING: Wheat Beer #2 falls squarely into the "Something
Weird" category you've heard me talk about here before. It's a
"Gose" (rhymes with "blows"), and that means it's a sour wheat beer
brewed with salt and tiny bit of spice. This should not to be
confused with a Geuze (rhymes with "booze"), in that it's more like a
very sour version of a Belgian Witte beer, but with different yeast
and possibly different spices, and lower in alcohol, and even more
sour than a Berliner Wiesse. Okay, so it's nothing like a Witte
Beer. But the flavor is only part of the weird. I started the mash
for this beer today, which usually means that I'll finish brewing it
today. But this time the mash will sit in the tank for three days to
develop a nice big fat sourness. Then on Friday, I'll run it off to
the boil and send it to the fermenter. Ultimately, some of this will
go into swing-top bottles, and we'll have some on draft... and some
will go to Marzoni's.

Yes, the best part of this brew though is that it's a collaborative
effort here with Bill Kroft at Marzoni's... collabo-brew? We're doing
the Gose together at East End, and also this week, we're brewing a
sour smoked beer called Lichtenhainer (say it with me now...LICK-ten-
hi-ner. Rhymes with um... bichtenhainer?) at Marzoni's. Nice and
weird too, which is why we've employed the buddy system this week,
because you never know what might happen.

3. SESSION ALE #13 - WHEAT HOP returns: Since we're in such a wheaty
mood, I figured it was time to bring back a fleeting favorite from the
Session Ale series. If you're just joining us, Wheat Hop is hoppy
version of an American Wheat Beer which will completely change the way
you think about wheat beers. Almost like an IPA in hoppiness, but
very low in bitterness, all atop a very light wheat malt base. I'll
be tweaking the recipe a little bit compared to last time, but it will
basically be the same beer you knew and loved.

GOOD BEER EVENTS: Couple of new fests on the list this year!
Mar 19: Vegetarian Beer Dinner at Bigelow Grille. SOLD OUT
Apr 4: Brewer's Ball to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation -
www.cff.org/Chapters/wpa and click on events.
Apr 3-6: Zeno's Cask Ale Weekend in State College -
http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/16525
Apr 6: First-ever East End Beer Dinner at Kaya - veg and meat options
- http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya/
Apr 26: Barley's Real Ale Fest in Columbus, OH -
http://www.barleysbrewing.com/smokehouse/Calendar-1107.htm
May 17: Pints for Pets beer festival - http://www.pintsforpets.com/Home.html

IN OTHER GOOD BEER NEWS...SOME RECENT PRESS:
Bob asks... How about a Pittsburgh Beer Week?
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08066/862737-389.stm And you know, I
couldn't agree more!

And he's not the only one who thinks Pittsburgh has some beer-bragging
rights!
http://www.goburgh.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=267&Itemid=72

Beer on a Truly Micro Scope? Maybe they mean "scale".
http://biz.yahoo.com/portfolio/080215/dcr8ea503d0a3b3493c83d282769601152f.html?.v=1

Well, that's all for now. I'm off to sniff that smelly sour mash to
see how it's coming along. I'll talk to you soon, with dates for the
new beer releases, more beer events, and the long-promised brewer's
view of the sad state of hops and malt in the world today... this fall
could be dicey!

Cheers,
Scott

www.EastEndBrewing.com