1st Meetup: when and where?

Andrew B.

Jul 10, 2010, 2:29:13 PM7/10/10
to East Bay Hacker News
Hi All.

Regarding the location:
If there's any trend from the HN post http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1502606,
it seems like it's that it should be somewhere in Oakland or Berkeley.
- Lots of people suggested Philz. I love Philz, but my experience is
that the upstairs is mostly full of people trying to work quietly. I'm
concerned that a meetup would be disruptive. Thoughts?
- For more formal spaces, phillipn offered the Citizen Engagement Lab,
and I offered Berkeley Coworking.
- Popular cafe/bar suggestions include Cafe Med, The Trappist, and
various Starboxen.

I don't think the location matters too much. We should just pick
something.

For the When, I propose that we write what days this week we could
make it (at, say, 7pm) and which day gets the most votes is it. I
don't think it should be later than this week, because it'd be better
to get the first one out the door while we have momentum.

Andrew

jose

Jul 10, 2010, 11:56:01 PM7/10/10
to East Bay Hacker News
Our office TUMIS is the suite next to the CitizenEngagementLab at the
David Brower Center. We can co-host for the first meetup or a future
one.

On Jul 10, 11:29 am, "Andrew B." <andrewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Regarding the location:
> If there's any trend from the HN posthttp://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1502606,

ChrisDrit

Jul 11, 2010, 10:37:58 PM7/11/10
to East Bay Hacker News
My vote: no earlier than 7pm is good, any day this week in Berkeley...

On Jul 10, 11:29 am, "Andrew B." <andrewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Regarding the location:
> If there's any trend from the HN posthttp://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1502606,

Timothee Boucher

Jul 11, 2010, 11:30:40 PM7/11/10
to East Bay Hacker News
Hello everyone,

as far as I'm concerned, I'd be more in favor of Wednesday or Thursday
this week.

For the location, as I said in the original post, I'm not quite sure
of the best places in Berkeley/Oakland for that, so I'll have to
follow your suggestions, but I'd go for somewhere where being noisy
won't be a problem. I was at one HN meetup in SF last year in the
Mission and while that specific place was a bit *too* noisy, the happy
hour kind of atmosphere was good IMO.
The closeness to a BART station would probably be a bonus for many as
well.

Cheers,

Tim

PS: thanks for creating the group, Andrew!

On Jul 10, 11:29 am, "Andrew B." <andrewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Regarding the location:
> If there's any trend from the HN posthttp://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1502606,

David Trejo

Jul 12, 2010, 12:22:36 AM7/12/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Proximity to bart is key for me. Barring that, I would prefer North Berkeley / Albany area if possible.

See you guys soon,
David Trejo

Andrew B.

Jul 12, 2010, 1:05:23 AM7/12/10
to East Bay Hacker News
How about Wednesday 7:30 at Jupiter? http://www.yelp.com/biz/jupiter-berkeley

On Jul 11, 9:22 pm, David Trejo <dtr...@cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Proximity to bart is key for me. Barring that, I would prefer North Berkeley
> / Albany area if possible.
>
> See you guys soon,
> David Trejo

jose d lopez

Jul 12, 2010, 1:44:06 AM7/12/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com, East Bay Hacker News
Sounds good. If it's too full or loud we can take it across the street to the Brower.

James Alexander Levy

Jul 12, 2010, 2:22:19 AM7/12/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
7:30pm at Jupiter is good for me. Looking forward to it!
--

James

Jey Kottalam

Jul 12, 2010, 2:31:34 AM7/12/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in

Andrew B.

Jul 12, 2010, 2:34:38 PM7/12/10
to East Bay Hacker News
Posted on HN http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1508734

Might be cool to show what we're working on, but Jupiter isn't a
laptop-friendly environment. If people are up for it, maybe we could
go to the Brower afterward?

Chris

Jul 12, 2010, 3:59:24 PM7/12/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com, East Bay Hacker News
This sounds good, I'm in... Brower after a pint sounds good as well :)
- Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Timothee Boucher

Jul 12, 2010, 6:42:04 PM7/12/10
to East Bay Hacker News
I'm just seeing this right now.
If you haven't done so yet, you might want to head over there and
upvote that post. It was on the front page a minute ago but isn't
anymore. A coordinated boost should help.

On Jul 12, 11:34 am, "Andrew B." <andrewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Posted on HNhttp://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1508734

Andrew B.

Jul 14, 2010, 7:42:10 PM7/14/10
to East Bay Hacker News
I'll be waiting outside from 7:15 in a grey hoodie and glasses. If
anyone arrives late and isn't sure where the group is, I put my phone
number in my HN profile -- feel free to text or call.
http://news.ycombinator.com/user?id=bdr

jose d lopez

Jul 14, 2010, 7:56:34 PM7/14/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Will be looking out for you. Should be a slow night at Jupiter so we can get a table upstairs away from the music.

Chris

Jul 14, 2010, 9:15:01 PM7/14/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com, East Bay Hacker News
See everyone there...

Sent from my iPhone

David Trejo

Jul 15, 2010, 1:01:05 AM7/15/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Andrew, thank you for organizing the meetup, I had fun.
See you all next time,
David

Andrew Badr

Jul 15, 2010, 2:18:33 PM7/15/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome -- I didn't do much. It was Timothee's idea.

For next time (in two weeks?) I was thinking we should maybe meet
somewhere where we can mix more. We could order pizza and bring our
own beer. If the Brower isn't available, Berkeley Coworking is across
the street from this gem:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/emilias-pizzeria-berkeley.

jose d lopez

Jul 15, 2010, 2:35:34 PM7/15/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we can have it at Brower. We got the drinks, folks can bring the pizza or whatever else.

Chris

Jul 15, 2010, 6:36:18 PM7/15/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Timothee & Andrew for putting it all together. It was good to
meet everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

Chris

Oct 6, 2010, 12:44:11 PM10/6/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone in the east bay was going to startup school and
wanted to carpool. I'm looking for a ride and can share expenses if
anyones interested.

Cheers!

Jack Fox

Oct 6, 2010, 1:13:30 PM10/6/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
I was rejected. Have fun!

Randall Bennett

Oct 6, 2010, 1:22:25 PM10/6/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm going... but I'll have to be there early. If you're down for leaving early, I can likely take you.

rb

Andrew Badr

Oct 6, 2010, 1:32:53 PM10/6/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
How early? I can drive too but would rather get a ride.

Unfortunately it looks like the caltrain won't get us there in time.

Jack, I wouldn't worry about it too much, the videos are posted online.

Randall Bennett

Oct 6, 2010, 1:35:49 PM10/6/10
to east-bay-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm likely going to be there at 7ish, which means leaving the eastbay at around 6am-ish.

Just FYI: I'm the guy doing the video stuff... i'm not trying to punish you guys. :)

rb

Timothee Boucher

Oct 7, 2010, 12:27:26 PM10/7/10
to East Bay Hacker News
Hi all,

I'm going too and I was planning on picking a friend up in San
Francisco and driving down South.
Meaning that I can take two people (technically three, but it would
get a bit crowded in the back) from the East Bay. I'm in Emeryville by
the way. I'm not quite yet sure at what time I'll leave. Probably
around 7.30am-8am?

Andrew, Chris, that could be YOU! Answer now and our representatives
will be happy to help you.

But wait, there's more! We planned a great soundtrack with the best
hits of entrepreneurship: Paul Graham interviewed by Andrew Warner,
the best bits of Steve Jobs keynotes and of course, DHH's greatest
hit: "Fucking VCs". Call now and secure your seat, it won't last long!

Anyway... Contact info here if needed: http://news.ycombinator.com/user?id=Timothee

Cheers,

Tim