Video - Bio-Data, Bioinformatics and the Gears that Make Biological Machines Tick

Ryan Bethencourt

Jul 29, 2013, 3:55:05 AM7/29/13
to East DIYbio, countercu...@googlegroups.com, sudo-discuss, diybio
Dear All,

Please find attached a video recording of Ron's talk from earlier today on:

Bio-Data, Bioinformatics and the Gears that Make Biological Machines Tick

Sorry for the light quality, we'll try to correct that for the next class

The intersection of biology and computer science is showing tremendous potential. Literally thousands of data sources great and small are publicly available now. Come and enjoy a low key introduction to all the 'omes' - genomes, transcriptomes, proteomes, methylomes, metabolomes, etc. We'll play with some of the more useful data sources, tools and biological pathways.

No biology training is necessary - the talk will be accessible to anyone. Programming skills are useful, but not necessary.

If you have a laptop, please bring it. We will try to look at data in the class and preview a couple of tools.

Cygwin on windows machines, OsX or linux are useful here, but we can go over these at the time if needed.

We will be designing a project for anyone who wants to go deeper and get more experience with Bioinformatics.

Ron Shigeta PhD has been doing bioinformatics for 12 years in biotech in the east bay, before that he made biological information as a protein crystallographer.!

Ryan Bethencourt

Aug 2, 2013, 2:01:02 AM8/2/13
to Felicia Betancourt, East DIYbio, countercu...@googlegroups.com
This looks great thanks Felicia!

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Felicia Betancourt <fmbeta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, Ryan!  Hey everybody, after watching this on YouTube, I noticed a really easy-to-follow Python-for-Bioinformatics video tutorial:

It not only shows you how to write and run a simple python program, but also how to quickly grab a DNA sequence from the NCBI website.  Have fun!

Ron Shigeta

Aug 2, 2013, 2:48:13 AM8/2/13
to Ryan Bethencourt, Felicia Betancourt, East DIYbio, countercu...@googlegroups.com
yes thanks for this felicia

we'll be doing some biopython next time bioinformatics meets up - i'll post this video as pre-study resource...

ron