CentOS7 End of Life: Which Alternative will Earthworm Officially Support?

jona...@ntu.edu.sg

Sep 22, 2022, 4:51:15 AM (7 days ago) Sep 22
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi fellow earthworms!

CentOS7 end-of-life is coming in June 2024. My observatory has Earthworm 7.9 with Winston 1.2.12 running on CentOS7 and we would like to keep it that way until we are forced to replace CentOS7 in 2024.

There are apparently a few popular CentOS-compatible alternatives listed on Google:
  • Rocky Linux
  • Alma Linux
  • CentOS Stream
  • RHEL (but we prefer something free)
Which one we choose will be heavily influenced (or even solely influenced) by which one Earthworm officially supports.

Will Earthworm officially support Rocky Linux, Alma Linux, CentOS Stream, or all of them?

Regards,
Jonah

Paul Friberg

Sep 22, 2022, 8:23:18 AM (7 days ago) Sep 22
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com

We have been moving towards Rocky Linux from Centos 7. We have also had good luck with Ubuntu 18 and recently got all the code to compile on Ubuntu 22 (but you will need to pull the latest code from gitlab.com repo).

Regards,

Paul

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/818c7a70-c059-441f-bca0-e04a107eb7cdn%40googlegroups.com.

--
===================================
Paul Friberg   p.fr...@isti.com

jona...@ntu.edu.sg

Sep 22, 2022, 10:16:06 PM (7 days ago) Sep 22
to Earthworm Community Forum
Thank you, Paul, for letting me know that you have chosen Rocky Linux as the successor to CentOS7 to be the recommended OS for Earthworm.
Looks like we'll settle on RockyOS for all the Linux servers run by my department.
  • Does GitLab repo only apply to your Ubuntu version?
  • Or are we supposed to get Earthworm via GitLab repo for Rocky Linux too?
  • Will you still be putting new version downloads on EarthwormCentral.org?
Thanks,
Jonah

Stefan Lisowski

Sep 22, 2022, 10:23:46 PM (7 days ago) Sep 22
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
It is on ISTI's to-do list to get out a new release of Earthworm 7.11 or
8, whatever it gets called... When that happens, hopefully before 2023,
we'll certainly put builds for Rocky 8, the latest long term support
Ubuntu, and others.

--

*To follow ISTI news and updates please subscribe to our newsletter
"the isti letter" at  https://www.isti.com/newsletter-sign-up