Permitted Component code.

cellectronic

Jan 24, 2022, 9:12:14 AMJan 24
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi All

Sometime ago I am sure I read that there is a list of aceptable component names for EW.

By this I mean , SHZ, SHN, SHE along with BHZ etc identification codes

Can anyone shed some more light on the permitted component names permitted
Thanks

Best regards .

Mitch Gold

Jan 24, 2022, 9:44:18 AMJan 24
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Channel naming follows the SEED standard as outlined in Appendix A of the SEED Manual:

The first letter is the band letter and implies a sample rate. For short-period seismic instruments with natural period < 10s (short period), the letter S is used for sample rates between 10-80sps, with E used for sample rates from 80 and below 250 sps. For broadband instruments (natural period >=10s) the band letters B and H are used for those sample rates. There are more letters for higher and lower sample rates.
The second letter is instrument type, where the common letters are H for high-gain instrument, L for low-gain and N for accelerometers. There are many others, for example D for pressure (barometers) or depth gauges, K for temperature, etc.
The third letter of the channel is direction where naming is usually Z/N/E components, though some networks are using orthogonal components Z/1/2 where the orientation is specified in the metadata.

Regards,
--Mitch

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/52f2512d-b166-4fbe-bcb6-3349babab9f0n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Mitch Gold
Mitc...@isti.com