Winston Error: Could not find or load main class gov.usgs.winston.in.ew.ImportEW and gov.usgs.winston.server.WWS

jona...@ntu.edu.sg

Dec 12, 2022, 2:08:06 AM12/12/22
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi fellow earthworms,

We just installed a new Winston on our earthworm.

After doing a "pau" and restarting earthworm, all other earthworm modules are running well, except Winston.

The errors I can see are these 2:
Error: Could not find or load main class gov.usgs.winston.in.ew.ImportEW
Error: Could not find or load main class gov.usgs.winston.server.WWS

I do not understand what this means.

I have attached a more detailed log, Winston-Error-20221212.txt.

Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction, please?

Thanks,
Jonah

Winston-Error-20221212.txt

Stefan Lisowski

Dec 12, 2022, 5:00:27 PM12/12/22
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
If you're running Winston under startstop, it is possible that you've
got the CLASSPATH set in one of your environment files, and it could be
pointing to an old version of Winston.

I think more likely is that an updated Winston has a different path to
the ImportEW and WWS classes. Check the ImportEW.sh and WWS.sh files;
for example, one version of Winston uses

gov.usgs.volcanoes.winston.in.ew.ImportEW
while another uses
gov.usgs.winston.in.ew.ImportEW

Make sure what you've got in startstop*d matches what's in the .sh file
for your version.

On 12/12/2022 2:08 AM, 'jona...@ntu.edu.sg' via Earthworm Community

--

*To follow ISTI news and updates please subscribe to our newsletter
"the isti letter" at  https://www.isti.com/newsletter-sign-up

jona...@ntu.edu.sg

Dec 12, 2022, 8:55:15 PM12/12/22
to Earthworm Community Forum
Thank you very much, Stefan. Indeed, you are exactly right!
I went ahead and added the "volcanoes" to my class names. And then everything works flawlessly now.
Ain't that the silliest thing. A typical "who moved my cheese" scenario.