Multiple Earthworm running

El Berto

Oct 2, 2021, 7:51:52 AM10/2/21
to Earthworm Community Forum

Hi to all!
How can I run multiple Earthworms on same PC?
startstop_unix.d is harcoded, so should I create different users?
Thanks.

Mitchell M Withers (mwithers)

Oct 2, 2021, 9:02:23 AM10/2/21
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com

I never tried it but there's this from the startstop doc:
"Note that two copies of startstop pointing at the same startstop *d file are not allowed to run simultaneously. The second one started will fail and quit. (If you really want to do this for some reason, you'd need to make sure that you use all different rings in the second version, different ports for the modules, and a different startstop*d file, specified as a parameter when starting startstop.)"

It probably best to use entirely different environment files and param directories to keep logs etc separate.

Mitch

Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
University of Memphis Ph: 901-678-4940
Memphis, TN 38152 Fax: 901-678-4734

Oct 2, 2021, 10:20:47 AM10/2/21
to Earthworm Community Forum

Hi Mitch,

You need to set the RING ID's (all of them)  in the earthworm.d to different  values for each EW, especially the FLAG_RING. If you do not do this, data from one EW could leak into another one.

Once you do that ,you can run multiple earthworms on the same system. We currently have 8 running under one user in one VM. And yes, you have to make different params dirs and environments, but it works well!!

We also now have EW docker containers which alleviate that, but that is another jump in tech that you may not want to take just yet!

Best,

Paul

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/BYAPR16MB2503A5EB084C2D13F415B0D7CCAC9%40BYAPR16MB2503.namprd16.prod.outlook.com.

--
Paul Friberg   p.fr...@isti.com

Brett Zimmermann

Oct 2, 2021, 10:56:02 AM10/2/21
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
I just recently did this on a VM at the PNSN. I created 2 diff /run/params and /run/log directories. I also added some aliases/simple scripts to swap environment variables in order to use certain monitoring tools for the different instances. The two instances share the same ~/bin folder and run independently of each other fine. I created new rings for the 2nd, we use RAW_RING and WAVE_RING for our instances so I used RAW_RING2 and WAVE_RING2 for the 2nd instance. You will need to specify those in the appropriate .d files(earthworm.d, statmgr.d, startstop_unix.d, waveserverV.d, wftimefilter.d, etc) to ensure they are created and used appropriately.