MiniSEED packet size

Richard

Feb 2, 2023, 4:42:00 AM2/2/23
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi,

Sorry for a slightly off topic question but you are the people who will know.

I'm writing a report on earthquake early warning, where the smallest packet size possible for transmission from a digitiser to the acquisition is  important when considering latency.

All modern digitisers seem to use MiniSEED as one of their possible protocols.  Does anyone know, please, what limitation the protocol itself puts on packet size (as opposed to limitations of the digitisers )?  As far as I can tell from the documentation, if you turn compression off, there is no real limit, but this cannot be true.  Has anyone tried pushing the size right down?

How small a packet could slink2ew cope with please?

Thank you,

Richard.

Paul Friberg

Feb 2, 2023, 8:35:23 AM2/2/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com

For some digitizers we have seen folks use 128byte sized MSEED packets (64 byte header, 64 bytes of uncompressed data). This is the smallest allowable...and that has worked to reduce latency feeding into Earthworm.

Paul

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/11d9e195-6378-4932-a1cd-8f066bea3b56n%40googlegroups.com.

--
===================================
Paul Friberg   p.fr...@isti.com

Mitchell M Withers (mwithers)

Feb 2, 2023, 8:37:32 AM2/2/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com

Which also means half your bandwidth is consumed by overhead so you better have a big enough pipe to handle it.

Mitch

Interim Director
Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152
901-678-4940

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and trust the content is safe.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 1:42 AM Richard <r...@bgs.ac.uk<mailto:r...@bgs.ac.uk>> wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for a slightly off topic question but you are the people who will know.

I'm writing a report on earthquake early warning, where the smallest packet size possible for transmission from a digitiser to the acquisition is important when considering latency.

All modern digitisers seem to use MiniSEED as one of their possible protocols. Does anyone know, please, what limitation the protocol itself puts on packet size (as opposed to limitations of the digitisers )? As far as I can tell from the documentation, if you turn compression off, there is no real limit, but this cannot be true. Has anyone tried pushing the size right down?

How small a packet could slink2ew cope with please?

Thank you,

Richard.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fgroup%2Fearthworm_forum%3Fhl%3Den&data=05%7C01%7Cmwithers%40memphis.edu%7Cc065497635644861176d08db052256bb%7Cae145aeacdb2446ab05a7858dde5ddba%7C0%7C0%7C638109417271153721%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=MhyM0Zr7OhaBXZGHKEOfYz6f5dzwoul56w6zjBDnPNk%3D&reserved=0>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/11d9e195-6378-4932-a1cd-8f066bea3b56n%40googlegroups.com<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fearthworm_forum%2F11d9e195-6378-4932-a1cd-8f066bea3b56n%2540googlegroups.com%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&data=05%7C01%7Cmwithers%40memphis.edu%7Cc065497635644861176d08db052256bb%7Cae145aeacdb2446ab05a7858dde5ddba%7C0%7C0%7C638109417271153721%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=2bfF5vrarPBDgpG0fcvQaKBac0ikvZZc7F33z79LGyA%3D&reserved=0>.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fgroup%2Fearthworm_forum%3Fhl%3Den&data=05%7C01%7Cmwithers%40memphis.edu%7Cc065497635644861176d08db052256bb%7Cae145aeacdb2446ab05a7858dde5ddba%7C0%7C0%7C638109417271153721%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=MhyM0Zr7OhaBXZGHKEOfYz6f5dzwoul56w6zjBDnPNk%3D&reserved=0>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/CALsXm6WBVxY%2BQKm7unCp8mRwmGq%2BF9h6-XZofRsifWh4aWCaEg%40mail.gmail.com<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fearthworm_forum%2FCALsXm6WBVxY%252BQKm7unCp8mRwmGq%252BF9h6-XZofRsifWh4aWCaEg%2540mail.gmail.com%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&data=05%7C01%7Cmwithers%40memphis.edu%7Cc065497635644861176d08db052256bb%7Cae145aeacdb2446ab05a7858dde5ddba%7C0%7C0%7C638109417271153721%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Pn1NfI2uhxVwZBfECNF7GHrDimHa4cnVYs1GydDk%2FiI%3D&reserved=0>.

Richard Luckett - BGS

Feb 2, 2023, 9:02:10 AM2/2/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Paul, Mitch,

Thank you. That is very useful. Yes, bandwidth is another topic...

Richard.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/BYAPR16MB25037E1A9FB002B75F42CEDFCCD69%40BYAPR16MB2503.namprd16.prod.outlook.com.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.

Alexandru Marmureanu

Feb 2, 2023, 11:42:40 AM2/2/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,

My name is Alexandru Marmureanu and i worked a lot in EWS research for Vrancea (Romania) earthquakes (http://ews.infp.ro/).  We use 35 stations for EWS in the Vrancea area. The peculiarity of Vrancea is that there are deep events (down to 200km)

I have several observations on your questions:

1. In the initial EWS that we designed we used 1-second data packets for data. Custom software was written by me / or existed in Earthworm.  I have some papers on this, but when i look back they seem waste of my time :)
2. Now we use 512 miniseed data packets for a very simple reason.... When an earthquake is at 120 km depth we receive about 15 P phases in 2 seconds. We use only 6 P phases for the initial magnitude and location.... This is mainly caused by two things: a) Deep events P phases come more or less in this time window at the surface; b) when there is "movement" the time window/span of a data packet is smaller (eg. only noise a packet can contain 6 seconds at 100 sps/ and during an earthquake around 1.5-3 seconds of acceleration data). So when you have a big number of stations at the surface, statistically it doesn't matter if it is miniseed or 1 packet/second.
3. I think that this is similar at crustal events.. The time shrinking of miniseed is valid and if you have enough stations it will be ok.

There are some workarounds to change the data packet size (recompiling acquisition software or use acquisition software/digitisers that fill with 0 data in miniseed datapackets.)..

Cheers,
Alexandru Marmureanu
National Institute for Earth Physics, Romania

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

Richard Luckett - BGS

Feb 3, 2023, 3:26:45 AM2/3/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Alexandru,

Thank you for your observations.  I have read some of your papers and the Romanian system is included in our report.

I understand that it many cases latency due to packet size is not going to make a lot of difference but at the moment we’re dealing with principals. I had noticed that a couple of the digitisers give you the chance to zero pad packets but the same ones also allow you to set the number of frames per packet, which seems more efficient?  Maybe that is needed for other acquisition systems.

Regards,

Richard.

Feb 3, 2023, 6:42:37 AM2/3/23
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I hope that I understood correctly your question.

If you use 200 samples / second the packet time width will be smaller than for 100 samples/second.  So the 512 bytes are filled much faster :)

This will increase bandwidth....

Regards,
Alexandru