The larger issues with our smart devices (and using them in a biodiversity class)

EwA

Feb 5, 2018, 7:18:18 PM2/5/18
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
We just had an interesting little discussion with one of our partners about the use of smart phone or iPad in some of our Nature Circles / Classes.

We wanted to share our remark so that it benefits or raise discussions among our members and followers.

The original comment was (1) about health risk and (2) about those who have it, and those who don't have it.

Answer #1

That (health) concern is actually not new, and also concerns iPads, and any computer in general. Many of the same minerals and chemical elements are found in those electronics devices.

I might actually be even more critical of such devices than most for additional environmental and human rights violation reasons.
Do you know for instance that many of the components in our devices come from a "blood" trade? As an example, Coltan and other compounds are being mined in developing countries. A lot of this mining happens in horrendous slavery circumstances. This mining is associated with both environmental and human rights violations - a trade fueled by rebels and indirectly by governments and international manufacturers worldwide when do not follow diligently the compounds to their source (with its cortege of child slavery, soldier children, rapes, usual violence and slaughtering). Those compounds are not better than ivory (the ivory trade is referred to as "blood ivory") or diamonds (most diamonds are called "blood diamonds"). Coltan has been of course also referred to as blood coltan. I discuss this (in a non-traumatic way of course) when I teach about ecological ethics, systems & critical thinking, and when raising the issue of understanding where the things that we use and consume come from.

From a behavioral psychology point of view, I like to inform about such devices, the same way than I inform about alcohol and any 'thing' that provides instant gratification. The human species is addiction prone (even more so than its great apes siblings it seems) and many refuse this truth, but that does not mean that we can't state the science studies and the facts :-)

Anyway, the point of the Biodiversity class is not the cell phone (which I use only for a small portion at the end of the class and when I have troubles identifying a species from books and guides), but it's also a means to raise awareness and redirect the use of those devices towards "meaningfulness", helping science, while talking about ethics of those devices and their source (that's part of the EwA systems thinking ordeal).

This class also teaches people about citizen science, and iNat is a platform to record ID and help identification therefore helping both the identifier and the scientist community.
Until the last part of the class (under supervision and with explanations), they won't be allowed to use a phone [I am French after all and we ban phone usage in schools ;-) Yes we do and I agree with that! 🎉].

Does that make sense?

But in any case, if it is still an issue I can use my cell phone for the Biodiversity class at the Growing Center, and have them gather around me. We'll just have to limit the size class to not more than 8 attendees.

Hope that clarifies and helps! :D

Answer #2 (More on the topic)...

Thinking further about what you mentioned with respect to have or have not (which I did not answer quite well I am afraid):
The class is not about the phone, it's more about the Identification app (iNaturalist in this case) and snapping a species (via a camera), learning how to document a species via relevant visual recordings (photos and other means). And the app is accessible later via a computer (in a classroom, in a library or elsewhere). I happen to be working right now on this very topic with a UK marine biologist who has been working herself with citizen scientists of all ages in various parts of the world.

Anyway, thinking even further: the way we can modify the use of ID apps in class, is supporting ID with taking relevant pic/shots, and then I can use my phone to explain about the recording apps that are critical for helping scientists. So in this case, we can use a common camera (mine), and then I can send them the pics and the records later so that they understand the principle - and maybe foster an interest from them to help science, or embrace science :-)

If some have cameras that would be great as they can experience directly how to record info. Of course we can have the have vs. have-not issue there too, but then we can foster the concept of sharing resources (I'll think about something).

Again this specific class is about biodiversity & citizen science. Citizen science happens with the support of a community sharing its resources (cameras, apps and stuff), so a class is actually a perfect micro cosmos to experience all this :D

I hope I clarified a little more. Well the least we can say is that it got me thinking deeper about all that!

Now to you readers: What do you think about this topic?