July 11th Night Insect Survey w/ Teá at Fresh Pond (Recap)

EwA

Jul 12, 2019, 5:59:27 PM7/12/19
to EwA-Natu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks again to all of you for coming this past Thursday to our insect survey at Fresh Pond. Here's the recap of what we've observed together. Thanks to Teá for making her knowledge accessible. And thanks to Ranger Tim for facilitating this event.

Here is our session log below. See also our Facebook post about the event > here
Our Site log is also publicly available > here

Event > 🐝 Night (Insect) Life at Fresh Pond

Date

07/11/19

Site

Lusitania meadow

Surveyor’s Names

Teá, Ranger Tim, Claire, Sarah, Dan, Joe, Bill, Carolyn, Jocelyn, Lily, Tucker, Greg, Luke, Madeline, Leonie, Jocelyn (17)

Time

8:11pm - 10:45pm

Weather

Cool, Light breeze

Approximate Temperature

76°F - 74°F  (24.44°C - 23.33°C)

Conducted Tasks
  • Observed and documented moths and other insects at night, who were attracted to the lights that were set up.

  • Walked around with blacklights to look for caterpillars.

Session Records
Notes | Author: Sarah

Tea collected the Great Ash Sphinx caterpillar -that we found while surveying the perimeter of the meadow with a UV light. Collection for parasitism analysis (Tea: high parasitism rate ~90% of this species)

Visual Observations include: Mayflies | Beetles | Midges | Mosquitos | True bugs | Bees | Caddisflies | Moths: Armyworm moth, Wood Leopard moth, Pug moth, Litter moth, American Ear moth,...

ⓘ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » https://tinyurl.com/ewa-citizen-science

Thanks, - Claire