📜 EwA Week Highlights: Fall Grasshopper, A Pheasant, and A Fungal “Barometer”

Mike McGlathery

Nov 5, 2022, 12:07:48 PM11/5/22
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
November 5th‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
EwA_Logo-CS.png
EwA Highlights
November 5th

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the November 5th edition of EwA's weekly highlights, now with a new look!

Before we get started, I’d like to apologize for a couple different mistakes from last week’s highlights. I both misattributed an observation and didn’t link a couple of them properly. First off, that ruddy duck observation was actually from Heather, not Jen. Sorry, Heather! And you can find a proper link to Dan’s candid coyote observation right here.

And with those corrections sorted out, here are the highlights.

📸 First off, we have this sulphur-winged grasshopper (Arphia sulphurea) nymph observed by Claire. Hmm … a nymph in November? This poor bug must be confused by the unseasonably warm weather, right? Actually, this little guy is pretty much on schedule. These grasshoppers overwinter in nymph form before emerging in the spring to reach full maturity.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill · Woburn, MA · Nov. 2, 2022)

This next bird observation really is from Jen. She spotted this ring-necked pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) in Maine last Saturday. Ring-necked pheasants were introduced to the U.S. as game birds. There is evidence that pheasants adversely impact the populations of some native birds such as the northern bobwhite (Colinus virginianus), but they are widely considered naturalized due to their economic importance and ability to inspire conservation. I think this species brings up a lot of interesting questions about the interactions between human economics, cultural practices, and native ecosystems.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Jennifer Clifford · Vinalhaven, ME · Oct. 29, 2022)

And finally, this barometer earthstar (Genus Astraeus) was observed by Deana. These fungi aren’t actually earthstars and they aren’t quite barometers either, but they are good indicators of the amount of moisture in the air. When its environment is too dry, a barometer earthstar’s rays will close around the central spore sac.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Deana Thomas · West Greenwich, RI · Nov. 3,  2022)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 392 observations of 259 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 130,126 observations of 8,844 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Fall [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Our monitoring programs are in full swing, and are occurring every week this time of year. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

35rtqtgc8p5e