📰 EwA News Digest

mlmcglathery

Apr 14, 2020, 2:27:04 PM4/14/20
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Hey all! Mike here, with another EwA News Digest.

First off, some fun evolutionary biology from Audubon's BirdNote, who've published a quick audio clip demonstrating how a bird's song evolves to suit its habitat.
Preview image
Speaking of bird calls, new research elaborates on the relationship between Black Rhinos and Oxpeckers, which feed on large fauna parasites like ticks. This research indicates that the relationship between species is mutualistic, with the Oxpeckers serving as a sort of alarm bell for rhinos, which could help protect them from poachers.
Preview image
And one more piece of bird-related news: analysis of radar data from tuna-fishing boats has revealed that some groups of seabirds can fly in kilometers-wide "rake" formations in search of food at sea. Tuna vessels often track the movements of seabirds to find good places to fish.
Ok, I hope I've satisfied our bird enthusiasts for now. In other news,
Preview image
Lastly,  the Schmidt Ocean Institute has produced a stunning video overview of the deep sea biodiversity in Ningaloo Canyons east of Australia. Those of you who joined us in last week's EwA Nature Virtual Hour might recognize the organism at the beginning of the video!
Preview image
That's it for your April 14 EwA News Digest! Happy reading.

-Mike

mlmcglathery

Apr 14, 2020, 2:29:49 PM4/14/20
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group