Mallards at the Fells

Jennifer Clifford

Feb 19, 2020, 3:34:37 PM2/19/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Jennifer here, for a follow-up to the water fowl we saw on Long Pond at the Fells this morning.

Those diving ducks really threw us for a loop! They did not not look or behave like any other diving duck, and they are definitely mallards, according to my bird books.

Apparently, they will dive, although this is very rare, to find snails (or maybe other food?) at the bottom of ponds.

We are incredibly lucky to have witnessed this behavior! I am super excited about it.

Here is a link:

See you next time!

--
  Jennifer

Jennifer Clifford

Feb 19, 2020, 3:38:15 PM2/19/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for more e-mails, but I should have included this link also.

--
  Jennifer

Claire O'Neill

Feb 19, 2020, 3:44:03 PM2/19/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com, jccli...@gmail.com
No worry, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing! And I confirm: I looked at the close-ups pics that I took, and all of them are indeed Mallards.
I don't think they were even hybrids of American ducks x Mallards, but for sure they were super good at short dives :-)

This morning's log is available > here. Visual records still coming in...

Cheers, - Claire

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Jennifer Clifford wrote
Sorry for more e-mails, but I should have included this link also.

Kathy McGlathery

Feb 19, 2020, 4:09:23 PM2/19/20
to Jennifer Clifford, earthwi...@googlegroups.com
I read an article with some anecdotal evidence that they seem to learn from other kinds of ducks!

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Jennifer Clifford <jccli...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
For more information, visit: https://www.earthwiseaware.org/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EarthwiseAware/

Kathy McGlathery

Feb 19, 2020, 8:15:30 PM2/19/20
to Jennifer Clifford, earthwi...@googlegroups.com
I guess I saw the same article Jennifer saw!

Sent from my iPhone