📜 EwA Week Highlights: 🦅 A lost Asian Eagle, Pollution-Intolerant Lichens, Harbor Seal, EwA Winter Field Sessions & More...

Claire O'Neill

Dec 26, 2021, 5:56:26 PM12/26/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

📸 So many sightings again this week! Always great to see a pinniped popping in our records, here's a beautiful Harbor seal, spotted by Joe at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.

EwA iNaturalist record (© Joe MacIndewar · Parker River National Wildlife Refuge · Dec 20, 2021 · 12:44 PM EDT)

🦅 2 of us tried today to add a sighting to our week set, one of that magnificent Steller sea eagle (a 'lost' eagle native from Asia / a vulnerable species) seen on Dec 20th down south of us along the Taunton river, but with no success. That was a long shot for sure, and we knew that he probably had moved out of the area already. Still, that was worth a try, and a great opportunity regardless to go explore areas other than our familiar ones. So instead, we got to marvel at countless Bushy beard lichen (Usnea strigosa) - unless mistaken. It's always a pleasure to see them, and even more so when they're seen in abundance, since their presence is an indicator of clean air - they are intolerant of air pollution. Such a gorgeous lichen, no?

EwA iNaturalist record (© Claire O'Neill · Fall River State Forest · Dec 26, 2021 · 1:09 PM EDT)

📊 Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week! - totaling 196 observations of 117 distinct species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆 To date, we recorded 90,887 observations of 7,081 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Public Events

EwA Field Events » Check the EwA Winter Program [ Events details & registration » ] Don't miss great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and of its wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats that large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit to avoid no-shows (or cancel when you know you can't come)

■ EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

Winter schedule: We switched to weekly biodiversity scouting sessions, at Horn Pond and the Fells - replacing the weeks where we would usually survey phenology. Pheno surveys are now on a monthly schedule at all sites. Check EwA's Volunteer Program Calendar 📅 to know when things happen. And if one session is of interest to you don't hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week!

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate