🦊 The No Purpose Stroll & Fox Walking

Claire O'Neill

Oct 6, 2017, 10:53:54 AM10/6/17
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles

Here is an example of an example of an EwA Nature Circle activity, that we are including in our Nature Circles program.

Themes: Nature benefits – Senses awareness – Feeling and being part of Nature
When: Year-long
Habitat: Anywhere but preferably in Nature for a full Fox walking experience.
Material: Yourself possibly bare feet weather and locations permitting…

Objective: In connecting with our surroundings, it is important to make room for those walks which have no purpose other than simply walking – doing nothing but just wandering along. It helps to disconnect from the unnecessary and reconnect with yourself. It’s a form of meditation. It is a relaxing moment as well as it opens our mind to our surroundings.

Activity: Give it a try: Go out 15 mins during the day and meander. Silence or turn off your phone and really disconnect from your digital assistant. Start your No Purpose walk breathing slowly in and out for a few breaths.

If you are in Nature go further and walk as silently as you can and Fox walk!

Fox Walking

Fox Walking is actually great for tons of reasons including health. Although there is not necessarily scientific evidence, still people who Fox walk acknowledge that it eases physical pains such as back pain (likely because it simply involves relaxing your body), and increases senses awareness.

You might feel at odds when first walking this way. But with time, you might realize that this is ‘the good way’ to move in a forest because it maximizes our awareness of what lies and live around us. To optimize the experience you can give it a try bare feet!

1 – Initial Contact

When your foot comes down, the first point of contact should be the outside ball of your foot that is closest to your little toe.

2 – Roll To The Inside

Then roll your foot laterally until the outside ball and inside ball of your foot are both making contact with the earth.

3 – Lower The Heel

Lower your heel so that your entire foot is in contact with the earth.

Walk the walk… As you fox walk forward, your feet should be placed directly in line with each other. This creates maximum balance, silence, and the least disturbance possible.

Anytime that we are fox walking, we should also exercise a wide angle type of vision. Essentially a wide angle vision is a 180 degrees view. Try that: spread your arms as far as you can while looking forward. Head straight look forward but at the time perceive and your 2 hands at opposite sides of your body (spread at almost 180 deg from each other) When you maintain this vision you increase your ability to see movements. You are simply increasing your vision field.

Example of Fox Walking » https://youtu.be/Lc9djQD2rhg

Enjoy!

Claire O'Neill

Oct 13, 2017, 8:29:33 PM10/13/17
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
Now included in EwA's Circles Activities » http://www.earthwiseaware.org/the-no-purpose-stroll-fox-walking/

We're trying some general/uniform formats. So if you like what you see (or not), tell us so that we can improve... Thanks!