šŸž Next Pollinator/Insect Survey at the Growing Center > 8:30 am (Sept, Fri 13th)

Claire O'Neill

Sep 6, 2019, 9:40:20ā€ÆAM9/6/19
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
I looked at the weather forecast for next week, and here's the next survey date:Ā Friday, Sept 13th pm. Who's in?

Here's one of our favorite sightings at the Center this week: a busy Common eastern bumblebee and a Great black digger wasp, both on a Bee balm in the native garden of the Center.

It's a busy time: Fall is around the corner, and we want to make sure we record this activity diligently so that we have a good data baseline for next year survey. Come and help us!Ā Doing so you help build the understanding of what is (and how many are ) in our native garden and when. This is critical science information and a set of data that is lacking currently. We need this dataĀ to help our pollinators and insects!

Now, about that pollinator program!...Ā

Here's our little intro + plan for our visit:

Thanks for joining this science community effortĀ in helping our city pollinators (& arthropods in general).Ā We will get to our weekly visual survey (photo documentation of insects & spiders) and count survey in (abundance count of the insects that visit the trees that we marked). We will also continue the inventory of the plants of the center so that we can understand better insect-to-plant interactions.
As usual,Ā we record all our activities in site-specific logs that we make public. And here isĀ the one about the Growing Center >Ā here it is.

[More...]

šŸ“…Ā You can check ourĀ Events calendarĀ to see when we plan our visits > our Growing Center events usually have a beetleĀ šŸžĀ appended to their title to ease spotting them in our busy calendarĀ ćƒ„Ā For the Growing Center, we'll be spontaneous (more so than for our other sites surveys), and have them planned about a day to a week prior to a visit.

I'll be the one leading those surveys while you are with me. So you'll have a great opportunity to learn and practice until you want to do it as well on your own -or not: it's fine to keep wanting to do it in a group setting :-)Ā The goal, besides community and science building, is also to have you monitoring when we can't, and supply additional data. The more regular and continuous our surveys are, the better it is for our pollinators, our scientists and ourselves as human Earth-citizen!

Each visit I'll start with theĀ field task du jour, and with a short intro with important info for newcomers to give a chance to anybody to start at any point during the year.Ā
If you're new and you missed the project intro part, and day field duty explanations, then no worry, there's always the next event! :-)Ā

ā“˜ More about this Project Ā» https://tinyurl.com/ewa-at-the-growing-center
ā“˜ More about EwA Citizen Science Program Ā» https://tinyurl.com/ewa-citizen-science

#insects #pollinators #urbanWildlife #insectDecline #conservation #biodiversity #citizenScience

Claire O'Neill

Sep 9, 2019, 6:47:47ā€ÆPM9/9/19
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
For those of you coming this Friday:Ā Before then, please upload theĀ Caterpillars Count app [iPhoneĀ |Ā Android] (free and easy to set up) on your phone (assuming you have a smartphone). If you don't have one is Ok, then I'll lend you mine the time of the recording. This Friday I'll have you recording with me :-)

Looking forward to seeing you!

Cheers, - Claire