📜 EwA Week Recap: Endangered Blanding's turtle, City Nature Challenge Results, Field Orientation Session...

Claire O'Neill

May 9, 2021, 8:14:28 PM5/9/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers in the world - for us that includes all the non-human mothers!

What a week! The 2021 City Nature Challenge (CNC) observational period is over and EwA was out there recording a lot of the biodiversity of our urban landscapes! The EwA observations dataset is > here, and the records of all observations from the Greater Boston area are > here.
⭐  Impressive results with more than 23,880 observations from about 1,745 observers, with our EwA and friends team having collected 2978 of those observations (22 observers). The event gathered more than 1,229,508 records worldwide in the 4-day period of the challenge from about 51,793 observers! We made it to the top 60 (worldwide) for the number of observations, and the top 42 for the number of unique species. Quite a biodiversity celebration!

📸  There are so many wonderful records–too many to showcase here (see list)–but here is one favorite: the endangered Blanding's turtle sighted by Dan.

📊 Thanks to all for incredible biodiversity records this week (including our CNC records)! - 3,498 observations total over 910 species! That is just amazing! Curious about the records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: To date, we recorded 65,697 observations of 6,103 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Events

Virtual Events »

  • EwA's Virtual Office Hour (May, 11th - 4pm | RSVP details) » We'll answer all your iNaturalist questions.

Field Events » Space is limited for all our field events for health reasons and-as importantly–to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats. We are asking our audience to follow a Register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can't come). [ Events details & registration ]

  • Monthly Biodiversity and phenology field orientation in the Fells this coming Wednesday (April 14th | 🎟️ > here)! They are great opportunities to learn about our local fauna, flora, and seasonal cycles while recording critical data to help science and our communities protect our urban natural habitats.

EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

We are monitoring weekly at all sites now (including scouting Horn Pond to set phenology and entomology survey sites). Our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is also as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock!

🗺️  EwA Sites Map | Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️  More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

To all of you: Stay healthy!

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.
Thanks and have a great week! - Claire

🧡 Make an impact - Help our #ScienceForAll program.

Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/

Photo: Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) | iNaturalist record © Daniel Onea